Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparge Temps.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
captaineriv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Batch Sparge Temps.

Figured I'd try batch sparging for the first time on my California Common. It will be about 10.5 lbs of grain. For the first infusion of the sparge, just going to add some boiling top-up water after the mash to get as close to 170 degrees as possible for the first 3.25 gallons of runoff. After all that's run out of the mash tun, what would be a good temp to heat the liquor for the second infusion up to so that I can keep that 168-170 sparge temp in the tun? I've read 185ish but thought I'd get some extra opinions.

captaineriv

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You'll be fine at 185. I usually go as high as 190 with no problems. Tannin extraction isn't much of an issue with batch sparging because the pH mechanics are different than fly sparging. It would be an issue if you decided to do a third sparge, but that's crazy talk!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds pretty fool proof then. As far as the first infusion, I doubt I'll be able to add enough near-boiling water to the 150 degree sweet wort already in the tun to bring the temp inside up to 168 without overshooting my first runoff volume. I presume this is to be expected and I should just bring it up as close to that 168 as possible? I'm using a plastic cooler, by the way, so direct heat is not an option.

captaineriv

Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, don't even worry about mashout temps. If you're boiling right away, you'll be totally fine.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I usually go to about 190*F also. Works great. Tell you guys the truth, I just stir really well and I only do 1 batch. I mash, run off the first running while heating sparge water, all all my sparge water stir really well, start heating first runnings, vorlauf after about 10 min. and run off everything. I've been hitting about 80% eff. A lot of people are doing multiple batches to sparge, but I've had good luck with 1 big one.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I heat the sparge water to 180ish. I most of the time mash at 150-152 so that takes me to right around 170.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The thing to do is to experiment, measure the temperatures carefully, and take notes. Everybody's system will be different, so nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer that is guaranteed to work with your system.

The hotter the sparge, the more efficient it is at rinsing the sugars out of the mash, but getting the sparge too hot will also extract excess tannins.

I fly sparge, and as the sparge water is only added very slowly, it would be virtually impossible to raise the temperature of the mash up to the point where I can get good efficiency without adding some very hot water prior to starting the sparge.

If you batch sparge, you could use the same method, or you could just heat the sparge water to a higher temperature.

If you sparge too cool, you will lose some efficiency, but your notes will tell you that you need to heat your sparge water a bit hotter next time.

If your sparge is too hot, then a bit of cold water will cool things down quickly without doing much damage.

It should only take a few batches to get the temperatures dialed in for your system.

Good luck,

-a.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I don't mash out either. I just drain and then add the sparge at about 190F. I use pH 5.2 as well.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
MorBro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Yeah, don't even worry about mashout temps. If you're boiling right away, you'll be totally fine.
Right ON!!!

we used to heat our sparge water to the higher temps, but now we just get it to about the same temp as the mash @150 and let 'er rip. the beer's great. hits that 'magic' 170 right quick in the boil kettle.

Quick Reply