New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge temperature without a mash-out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
stoutaholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Batch sparge temperature without a mash-out

I'm planning to do my first batch sparge, and I haven't been able to find any formula to use to figure out what the temperature of the sparge water needs to be.

I know that the temperature of the water, once I've added it to the grist, should be about 168 degrees. But the grist is not going to start out at that temperature, since my mash is going to occur at 151 degrees (I'm not doing a mash-out). So after I drain the mash water, the wet grist is probably going to be somewhere around 145 degrees, I'm guessing. Anyway, my sparge water is going to have to be at a higher temperature than 168 in order to bring the grist + sparge water temperature up to 168.

I was hoping to find a formula that would take as parameters the temperature of the grist, pounds of wet grist, and the amount of sparge water, and tell me the required temperature of the sparge water to reach 168 degrees in the mash tun.

Anyone know of such a calculation? I'm looking for a mathematical formula that I could create in Excel, rather than a black-box calculator such as the one on beertools.com.

Thanks,
Shaun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm not saying that knowing the math is a bad thing, but all of the "black box" software does a fine job. Since arriving at an exact temp is not all that important, a rough sparge temp of 185F is about right. It will get you to about 167F after you stir.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Your grist will not cool off as quickly as you think. If your mash is at 151 before runoff, I expect it will still be right around there after your runoff. It might drop a degree or two, but not down to 145 (that is, if you keep it covered while lautering).

Also, if you split your batch sparge, remember that your bed already up to temp. You don't need water that is at hot. I'm not saying you would forget. I'm just speaking from experience, here.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
alohanole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

168-170 F is what I use for batch sparging. Works like a champ. I split my batches into 2 equal sizes.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Certainly you can be happy with 168F sparge water, but your efficiency is about 5-10% lower than it can be. However, you didn't mention if you do anything to raise the mash temp up prior to sparging so that's a detail that may negate my comment completely.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think you can really come up with a calculation that will be very close. Different setups with leave different amounts of liquid behind. This left behind wort will affect the temp when you add the sparge water in. Also, different setups run and different rates and people may sparge with the lid of the MLT on or off which will also affect cooling. I think you best bet is going to be to come up with what works in your system.

I use a 10 gallon Rubbermaid. I do two sparges of equal volume and since my gain bed is 148-154 depending on the brew. I generally use about 180 degree water for the first sparge. This usually gets me into the 165 range and then I use 170 or so for the second sparge to try to get close to 168 but not go over.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Flic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On the batch I did recently, I used 10.5 lbs of grain and mashed at 153. I do a double batch sparge and I found that 182 degrees on the 1st sparge brought the grain temp up to 168. I did the second sparge with 175 degree water and the grain bed temp was 165. Seemed to work good enough for me so those will be the temps I'll be using going forward... give or take a couple degrees.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread, so forgive me. If you're doing a double batch sparge, are you draining the tun after the first sparge? Or are you adding water to bring the temp to 165 or so, letting it sit, and then adding the 170 water and at that point draining the whole thing?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Drain it off in between.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
adhomebrew10
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I know this is an incredibly old thread, but thought I would post a formula to figure out your sparge temp. This is reversed from the infusion formula in "How To Brew":

Tw = ((T2- T1)(((.2G)4) + Ds) / Wa) + T2

T2 = Target Temp
T1 = Current Temp
G = Grain bill in lb
Ds = Dead Space
Wa = Amount of sparge (qt)

Multiply .2G by 4 to get from gallons to quarts. Ds not obvious from the original formula, but it is based on the fact that residual heat is still in the Ds.

This gets me very close to where I want to be temp-wise.

-adhomebrew10
Traditions Brewing Company
Anchored In Tradition

Quick Reply