Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge temp calculation question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Batch sparge temp calculation question.

I am using Beersmith, and on my preview sheet for my recipe, it says to strike with ~9.5 qts of 164° water to reach a rest temp of 152° with my 7.5 lbs of grain at a temp of 75°.

I will be using a double batch sparge of 3 gallons each, and Beersmith says to sparge with 168° water for each batch.

Meow my question is this, if I am adding 3 gallons of 168° water to grain that is about ~152° after my first runnings, will that keep me in the 168° range during sparging, or will I need to heat my water a few degrees warmer (175-180°) to keep within the 168° sparge temp?

Is Beersmith incorrect, or is it just not that critical to keep within the realm of 168° during sparging?

Or, even better, is the 3 gallons of 168° water enough to raise the temperature in the mash tun to 168° without a significant loss of heat to the grain?

As usual I may be over-thinking things, but this Sunday will be my first AG brew day, and I would like it to go off without a hitch.

FWIW, this is an Ordinary Bitter recipe with an OG of 1.042.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Hi. I follow the instructions from BeerSmith with good results. Others with more experience and a more scientific approach to brewing might be able to answer your specific question, though.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3311 Times on 2059 Posts
Likes Given: 2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I am using Beersmith, and on my preview sheet for my recipe, it says to strike with ~9.5 qts of 164° water to reach a rest temp of 152° with my 7.5 lbs of grain at a temp of 75°.

I will be using a double batch sparge of 3 gallons each, and Beersmith says to sparge with 168° water for each batch.

Meow my question is this, if I am adding 3 gallons of 168° water to grain that is about ~152° after my first runnings, will that keep me in the 168° range during sparging, or will I need to heat my water a few degrees warmer (175-180°) to keep within the 168° sparge temp?

Is Beersmith incorrect, or is it just not that critical to keep within the realm of 168° during sparging?

Or, even better, is the 3 gallons of 168° water enough to raise the temperature in the mash tun to 168° without a significant loss of heat to the grain?

As usual I may be over-thinking things, but this Sunday will be my first AG brew day, and I would like it to go off without a hitch.

FWIW, this is an Ordinary Bitter recipe with an OG of 1.042.
If you choose Single Infusion instead of Single Infusion, Batch Sparge, then the software will give you a mashout of about 1.5g at about 200F.

If you select a mash profile that includes "batch sparge", then BeerSmith does not include a mashout.

BTW, you probably already know this but you can force 2 equal sparges by just lowering the volume of your mash tun to 4 gallons (in your Equipment profile).

Last edited by passedpawn; 09-02-2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Apparently, it was not obvious that the answer was here. Bolded to help.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Either Beersmith is wrong or you are misinterpreting what it is telling you.
Adding 168F sparge water to a 152F mash cannot raise the temp to 168F. You will lose some heat to heating the MLT, and more heat to raising the mash temp, resulting in a sparge temp of much less than 168F. It's so long since I batch sparged that I'm not even going to guess what temp your sparge water should be heated to.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's going to take something like 185F sparge to get 168. BS just defaults to 168 sparge given an assumed mashout.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3311 Times on 2059 Posts
Likes Given: 2829

Choose Single Infusion (not the batch sparge options) for your mash. BS will give you a mashout to raise the mash before the sparges.

I thought I put this in a post above, but apparently it was either 1) invisible, or 2) not clear.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

not trying to jack the thread, but I have the exact same question. I've done 3 AG batches using Beersmith and added 168 water for the sparge and ended up with 40% (crush from LHBS sucked) 55% and 60% efficiency. Would adding the 185 water increase my efficiency? I've been mashing at 152 and 1.25 qt/lb and doing a single sparge usually around 3.3 gallons depending on the recipe.

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeh, that won't work at 168F.

I do my batch sparging with 182-184F water to hit 166-168F. Depends on your vessels and such, but as ajf noted, it simply isn't possible. I no longer use BS for my mashing and sparge calcs. It is confusing in my opinion!

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think that passedpawn is right on the money if you want to follow BS for your sparging. I have done 5 AG brews to date and until today, I couldn't hit 168F on my sparge. I do a double batch sparge and it is tough to hit the 168 due to variables such as a slow mash out which will lower your grain temp etc.

Today, I finally decided to add 1 gallon of boiling water prior to my sparging. This took my grain bed to about 165. Then I added the first batch sparge amount (minus 1 gallon) at about 175. I hit 168 right on.

I read one of Bobby M's posts once and he was talking about hitting 168 is not crucial to efficiency. I think he said that as long as you hit a batch sparge temp above 162 or so you are fine.

Have fun brewing up your first AG!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

is this an error in the beersmith software then???

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Quick Reply