New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge - single or double?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
fishops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You're right. .6 quarts/ lb on a sparge is a on the borderline side to make it stirrable but not completely off the wall. This is a relatively big beer with a small preboil volume. I might be prone to do a 1 gallon (boiling water or close) mashout infusion, drain, then a single sparge of 3.25 gallons at 170F on this one.
Not to derail the thread, but is there a reason to do a mashout when you're batch sparging? I've come to understand it's really only helpful when fly sparging?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishops View Post
Not to derail the thread, but is there a reason to do a mashout when you're batch sparging? I've come to understand it's really only helpful when fly sparging?
That's a common misconception. Mash outs are not as NECESSARY when batch sparging, but they are still very helpful, although not for the same reasons as when fly sparging. The biggest advantage is that increasing the mash temp gets a bit more sugar in solution, and the extra heat and water reduce the viscosity of the mash, making for easier lautering. Overall, it can increase your extract efficiency by a few points or more.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 26

In addition to flyguy's comment, the reason you'd maybe want to do this on a batch sparge is if you're grain bill is so big that only a single batch sparge infusion is practical, a small "mash out" infusion gets your first and second runnings as close to the same volume as possible. This is a known method of increasing efficiency.

My caveat is, if the grain bill is NOT large, the Non-mash out with two half sized batch sparges (3 runnings total) has proven to be most effective. YMMV.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
In addition to flyguy's comment, the reason you'd maybe want to do this on a batch sparge is if you're grain bill is so big that only a single batch sparge infusion is practical, a small "mash out" infusion gets your first and second runnings as close to the same volume as possible. This is a known method of increasing efficiency.
Yes, good point -- I actually missed stating something, but if you are using two batch sparge infusions, then you can achieve the same benefits that I mentioned above by sparging hot. So a mash-out would definitely not be beneficial in that situation.

Regarding the use of a mash-out, I actually disagree with you slightly here Bobby. The only time I split my batch sparge is when I *do* have a large grainbill. The reason is that my tun is full of grain and might not accommodate a large sparge water addition, so I have to split it up. Also, with a large grainbill, your strike-to-sparge water ratio decreases, and those multiple batch sparges really help to keep the extract efficiency up.

When I am doing a small grainbill, I usually don't bother with multiple sparges. I just pull out enough sparge water to balance my runnings, boil that and use it for a mash-out (assuming the temps work out), and sparge once with the remaining water 170F. I found that splitting the sparge infusion took extra time and only increased extract efficiency by a few points, so I often don't bother.

Quick Reply