Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparge Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorryWort View Post
I don't disagree entirely, but I don't think that's your problem. Denny Conn stirs before he vorlaufs (unless I misinterpreted his descriptions), and pretty much invented this.

Only before the sparge, not before the mash runoff. The reason I don't stir before the mash runoff has nothing to do with grain bed settling. It's becasue I've tried it and it didn't improve anything. Being pragmatic, I don't want to expend effort without results.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
carrotmalt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I poored the grain in slowly while I stirred and I think I had it all blended well, but I'll make sure and stir a little extra next time just in case.

As for volume, I did measure out exactly how much to add each time, but you're right, I didn't take close enough notes on my gravity etc. other than once it was ready for the fermenter. Next time I'm going to check gravity after each runoff so I can make adjustments if need be (boil longer, sparge less, etc.) I'll also document better exactly how much boil off I had. I grossly underestimated it last time and topped up quite a bit. Had I checked first, I wouldn't have topped up as much.

Learning as I go. Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply