Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparge question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
JerD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Batch Sparge question

Brewsmith software offers a bunch of different option for batch sparging, one sparge, mutiple sparges of equal amounts, etc. What are the benefits and drawbacks of the different methods?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Jaeger48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

howtobrew.com

do a search for 'sparging' and Palmer will fill you full of knowledge.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The first running are always the highest quality wort. To get the most of the first runnings I like to mash fairly thin. You could just use the first runnings with a no sparge method. I've never done it because I don't want to spend grain on lower efficiency. It should make better beer. A single sparge will bring up the efficiency and with little risk of tannin extraction. I've been double sparging only when I use larger amounts of grain. I used to fly sparge but now that I crush my own grain I can get the same efficiency with a single sparge and save some time.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 03-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I do two equal sparges. My extraction runs: 50%, 33%, 16%. That's with a 3:1 mash, so each running is about the same size.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger48 View Post
howtobrew.com

do a search for 'sparging' and Palmer will fill you full of knowledge.
Actually that's one section of Palmer's book I don't like. He talks about batch sparging in a half-assed way and doesn't differentiate between fly/batch when referring to other fringe parts of the process.

One reason you would break the sparge into smaller portions is if your tun can't handle it in one large batch. Another reason, though not as forced, is that it does increase efficiency by a few points.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
hopdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

So let me get this straight. You guys are suggesting mashing with 7-8 gallons of water and then not rinsing the grain bed afterwards?

Right now I mash at 1.25-1.5qts per pound. So a 12Lbs grain bill I'll use 17-18qts. I'll slowly drain over a 30min time then add another 15qts and drain for maybe 20minutes.

What's the opinion?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Why do you drain so slowly? It kind of negates the time saving benefit of batch sparging. The drain should take no more than 5 minutes for any of the runnings. You do stir really well after adding the 15qt sparge right?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststage1 View Post
So let me get this straight. You guys are suggesting mashing with 7-8 gallons of water and then not rinsing the grain bed afterwards?

Right now I mash at 1.25-1.5qts per pound. So a 12Lbs grain bill I'll use 17-18qts. I'll slowly drain over a 30min time then add another 15qts and drain for maybe 20minutes.

What's the opinion?
I know that was mentioned, but don't take it as the gospel. It is done at times for various reasons, but generally speaking you should sparge. Whether it is fly or batch is up to you and your equipment. Your method does sound really slow for a batch sparge drain though.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
hopdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Well shoot, this is good info. I've read Palmers a dozen times and its not clear on the times. So it's 5 minutes for the first runnings, add water 170F, stir, 5 minutes for the rinse. Yes?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That's what I meant about Palmer's lack of clarity in the process. Any mention of sparge time is definitely referring to fly sparging. Batch sparge draining is not time dependent at all. First runnings, open the valve. Close the valve, add 180F sparge water, stir it well for 2 minutes, open the valve, recirculate 2 quarts back on top, then let it rip. You can break that sparge into two equal parts if you want to maximize efficiency.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply