Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge not working well

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #101
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
Denny, your page suggests an infusion of water before first runoff to reach the desired half of the pre-boiled volume, making up for whats lost in the mash, so your sparge and mash are equal, or something like that... For your example recipe, why not just mash with a gallon more instead of infusing. Would the mash be too thin? Is there such a thing as a mash that's too thin.

The first part is specific to Denny's recipe, but anyone can have a go at both questions.
You're absolutely right. I used to be a lot more concerned about that than I am these days. My philosophy now is that as long as the mash ratio is under 2 qt./lb. and the runoffs are within a gal. or so of each other, it's close enough to not really matter.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #102
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I've tried wet milling and for me it made no difference whatsoever. Needless to say, I mill dry these days.
I tried it too, but did find a difference -- my drill would overheat!

I'm back to dry, of course. Maybe it makes a difference for fly sparging, but it never did for me for batch (low sample size - twice).

Rich

Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #103
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I've tried wet milling and for me it made no difference whatsoever. Needless to say, I mill dry these days.
For my false bottom setup, it made a huge difference in how fast I can recirculate without significant compaction.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #104
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I"ve finished my 1st batch yesterday. Single step infusion with double sparge, and I got ~80% efficiency.
I am more than satisfied for 1st time.
Thanks to Denny, CidahMastah, Bobby_M (for his AG primer) and others for great tips on this thread!!

I"ll try to improve next time and maybe test another process (fly sparge, multi step, diff. gap on mill..) on some of next batches to find what suits best to me..

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #105
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Try doing a single batch sparge and see how much difference there is.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply