New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge infusion temp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
JesseRC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabedoug View Post
From time to time, when I need to split up my brew day, I just use hot tap water for sparging. In each and every case, my OGs and my FGs are identical. Kai took this to an extreme in his cold water sparge experiment: http://braukaiser.com/lifetype2/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=129&blogId=1

I do not notice the haze differences that Kai did but I really don't care if my beer is a bit hazy, anyway. I only do a hot tap water sparge when I need to mash & sparge on one day and then boil on the next (e.g., on a busy weekend).
+1

Yup that's the way I see it. Kai didn't say you should do cold water sparges or that he would stop doing hot water sparges. He just concluded that it's just not important enough. Basically, if you forget to heat your sparge water up or need extra volume to reach preboil volume, just use whatever you have. This comes in handy if you are a BIAB brewer and need to sparge in a bucket or what not.

I just heat my sparge water up 170-180, but that's only cus it brings me closer to boiling temps and I can heat it while the mash and drain is occurring. Basically it saves me time.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I'm not sure I understand that! I would think the only thing that determines batch sparge infusion temp would be grain bill and the temp of the grain bed at infusion time...

Unless what you mean is the thin mash only leaves so much room for sparge water if you're getting close to total pre-boil volume. If that's what you mean then I understand. After all the only reason I have to use 202F water is because a lower temp would give me too much sparge water and increase my overall volume..

I really need to take a break from Brewhouse math for today...
You're absolutely right.
I was thinking of a mash out prior to a fly sparge, but with a batch sparge, you would drain the first runnings before sparging, so the mash thickness would be irrelevant.

Sorry,

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

185-190 is a fine rule of thumb for batch sparging because we're not necessarily trying to reach a strict mashout temp. For me, it's a way of getting the derived wort up to boil temps faster by having a hotter wort to start with. You can calculate it out every batch if you want to, to get close to 170F but I find it unnecessary. You'll be boiling in 20 minutes.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Stauffbier

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satisfaction View Post
What has been your efficiency following this? Keeping in mind the quality of grain crush and similar variables.
When I used 185F as a standard temp on all batches I got 58% efficiency almost always. I've always used pre-crushed grain from Midwest. Since I just got 79% eff this past weekend I don't think it's their crush..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabedoug View Post
Why are you keen on hitting a certain temperature for your batch sparge? Just curious.
I just use hot tap water for sparging..
I guess it's because I'm new to AG (6 batches so far) and I have read that hotter water stops conversion and rinses sugars better.. And for the record my Hot tap water is gross. It leaves little black grains of some mystery mineral (or something) at the bottom of a drinking glass when I use it. I think my water heater is just old, so I don't consume my hot tap water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
+1
I just heat my sparge water up 170-180, but that's only cus it brings me closer to boiling temps and I can heat it while the mash and drain is occurring. Basically it saves me time.
If I infuse 170F sparge water into my 149ish grain bed it doesn't even get my temps out of the 150's. I thought the point in higher temps was to stop conversion and rinse, so if I'm still in the high 150's I would think I'm still getting conversion of un-fermentable sugars?!?!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
185-190 is a fine rule of thumb for batch sparging because we're not necessarily trying to reach a strict mashout temp. For me, it's a way of getting the derived wort up to boil temps faster by having a hotter wort to start with. You can calculate it out every batch if you want to, to get close to 170F but I find it unnecessary. You'll be boiling in 20 minutes.
+1

That's exactly it. As I see it, the main benefit of heating your batch sparge water is that you can reach boiling that much faster since you've already heated a bunch of (sparge) water. That's basically my sole reason for pre-heating my batch sparge water to 180 or so (with an emphasis on 'or so' since I believe it matters very little).

I do not worry for 1 millsecond if I am stopping or prolonging starch/sugar conversion. Makes no discernable difference(s) in my final (beer) product.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
Stauffbier

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Well, if it doesn't hurt for me to adjust infusion temp on each batch to achieve 168-170F Then I'll just keep doing it, so my wort will come to a boil faster. It isn't any harder for me to heat water up to 200 than it is 185. It only takes a few more minutes since I heat all of my strike/sparge water on my stove.

Quick Reply