Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge infusion temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2726

Default Batch sparge infusion temp

I've read many threads that say a batch sparge infusion temp should be at between 185-190F to get the grain bed to around 168F, but according to TastyBrew.com my infusion temp should be closer to 200-202F depending on grain temp to achieve a temp of 168F. When I plug in an infusion temp of 190F it would require way more water than what I figure into my total water volume.. Can anyone explain this contradiction to me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Beerfly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The temperature would be different depending on current mash temperature and the amount of grain. 11 Lbs of grain at 152 would surely take a lower temperature to raise it to 168 compared to a 20 Lb batch at 149 degrees. It's the same when you first mash, Beersmith will calculate your temperature of water for you based on amount of grain and temp.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfly View Post
The temperature would be different depending on current mash temperature and the amount of grain. 11 Lbs of grain at 152 would surely take a lower temperature to raise it to 168 compared to a 20 Lb batch at 149 degrees. It's the same when you first mash, Beersmith will calculate your temperature of water for you based on amount of grain and temp.
Ok, well I guess when I've read threads on this topic I got the impression that people use the 185-190F number as a normal infusion temp regardless of grain bill. What you say makes perfect sense to me, and that is how I've done it. I just started to wonder if maybe I was doing it wrong all along if people always used the same infusion temp for batch sparging. I have a 20lb grain bill coming up and I have calculated 202F as my sparge infusion temp, and that's what I will stick with...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It also depends how thick or thin your mash is. If you do a thin mash, you will need much hotter sparge water to raise the temperature up to 168.

-a.

[EDIT]
Ignore this. I wasn't thinking straight.
[/EDIT]

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
It also depends how thick or thin your mash is. If you do a thin mash, you will need much hotter sparge water to raise the temperature up to 168.

-a.
I'm not sure I understand that! I would think the only thing that determines batch sparge infusion temp would be grain bill and the temp of the grain bed at infusion time...

Unless what you mean is the thin mash only leaves so much room for sparge water if you're getting close to total pre-boil volume. If that's what you mean then I understand. After all the only reason I have to use 202F water is because a lower temp would give me too much sparge water and increase my overall volume..

I really need to take a break from Brewhouse math for today...

Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like to add 3/4 of my water, check the temp and adjust the last amount to hit my temp.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

I followed Denny's suggestions and it has not led me astray.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satisfaction View Post
I followed Denny's suggestions and it has not led me astray.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
I use Denny's method, as well. The only problem is that he also make it sound like every batch regardless of grain amount and grain temp should be infused with 185-190F water. If I infuse with that temp I'll only hit a sparge temp of about 160-164F at best on a 20 lb grain bill..

Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier

I use Denny's method, as well. The only problem is that he also make it sound like every batch regardless of grain amount and grain temp should be infused with 185-190F water. If I infuse with that temp I'll only hit a sparge temp of about 160-164F at best on a 20 lb grain bill..
What has been your efficiency following this? Keeping in mind the quality of grain crush and similar variables.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Why are you keen on hitting a certain temperature for your batch sparge? Just curious. At the end of the day, I do not believe that batch sparge water temp really makes a huge difference to the final product. For me, the benefit of the hotter sparge water means that I do not have to wait as long for my wort to boil since I am draining hotter water into my kettle (vs. hot tap water). Has no influence on efficiency.

From time to time, when I need to split up my brew day, I just use hot tap water for sparging. In each and every case, my OGs and my FGs are identical. Kai took this to an extreme in his cold water sparge experiment: http://braukaiser.com/lifetype2/inde...d=129&blogId=1

I do not notice the haze differences that Kai did but I really don't care if my beer is a bit hazy, anyway. I only do a hot tap water sparge when I need to mash & sparge on one day and then boil on the next (e.g., on a busy weekend).

Quick Reply