Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch / Decoction Mash / Single Infusion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great responses all!! I truly appreciate the time.

OHIO..

[quote]Technically, you mash in a Mash tun and you sparge in a Lauter tun - or at least that's my understanding. If you convert a cooler, you will be doing both processes in it which is why you'll see it referred to as an MLT (Mash/Lauter tun)[quote]

Is it just a gimmick then that some places sell a double cooler set-up? I dont see the added benefit of having a 2nd cooler if it can all be done in one?

So It seems that I will be doing single infusion mash, at least 2 brew pots, if there is an advantage to 2 coolers, then I will do that. I have another pot already that I can use for heating sparge water.
Is krausening, other than purity reasons, a good money saver? Or is it more hassle than it's worth. It seems that other than yeast washing, this would be another good place to trim money off of the brewing. I am not saying that I want to brew to get cheap beer, just trying to get the most out of it.

Such a wonderful knowledge base here, and I appreciate all the replies. Thanks everyone. Hopefully when I get back from this deployment in about a month, I will be able to start brewing.

Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I forgot to mention some of the other suggestions.
Yes I do plan to bottle for awhile, since I am in the military, I have lots of friends that drink so I can get all the free bottles that I want.
I still have a capper that I had when I brewed before.
I do still have some old equipment, 2 hydrometers, 1 thermometer, 48 flip top bottles, a 5 gallon SS pot, and a SWMBO that is ready and willing to help me brew. (gotta love that)

Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
brett

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa FE
Is krausening, other than purity reasons, a good money saver? Or is it more hassle than it's worth.
More hassle than it's worth honestly. Nevertheless, I save off a couple quarts of wort from the kettle, can them and refrigerate. I use them for starters, and I plan on using them for carbonation (I believe speisegabe is the most correct term). If you look at it that way, it's not too much of a hassle, but I wouldn't recommend doing all that until you get a couple good AG brews under your belt.

Primary 1: House Ale (yay!)
Primary 2: empty
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein + Blueberry
Kegged/Drinking: Partigyle Brown Ale
Conditioning: New House Barley Wine
Conditioning: Ghetto canned kit bitter (Surprisingly getting better w/ age)
Just Finished: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up next: More House Ale ?!?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett
More hassle than it's worth honestly. Nevertheless, I save off a couple quarts of wort from the kettle, can them and refrigerate. I use them for starters, and I plan on using them for carbonation (I believe speisegabe is the most correct term). If you look at it that way, it's not too much of a hassle, but I wouldn't recommend doing all that until you get a couple good AG brews under your belt.
I agree with the above. Some say priming with speise/gyle or whatever you want to call it results in an improved taste difference, but I doubt many of us could tell the difference between that and dextrose. Unless you're trying to be a Reinheitsgebot purist, I wouldn't bother. Besides dextrose is what? a buck a pound? That being said, I've primed with spiese (is it speise or spiese?) twice (once being my first brew!) and it's really not that much more difficult than dextrose. There's a simple calculation to determine the amount and you just add a little water to account for the boil-off. In general, you need to save at least 1.5 qts of wort per 5 gallons of beer to be safe. I plan to do it again on my alt in a couple weeks.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #15
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The other reason I don't care for spigots is they are usually low enough that you'll drain trub/yeast through it into the secondary..making secondary take longer, and mucking up the insides of the spigot.
beer is easy to clean off...dried on trub...not so much.

some feel racking is more of a hassle than pre-sanitizing the spigot and bagging it. both work fine if you do it right/sanitary

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #16
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
The other reason I don't care for spigots is they are usually low enough that you'll drain trub/yeast through it into the secondary..making secondary take longer, and mucking up the insides of the spigot.
beer is easy to clean off...dried on trub...not so much.
The Better Bottle spigots have a little dip-tube on the inside and can be rotated from the outside to avoid the yeast/trub. I've never had it suck any up.

Quick Reply