Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bass pro 60 qrt aluminum pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Krazlikesbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bass pro 60 qrt aluminum pot

Hi I am curious if anyone has brewed with this yet? I just bought a burner table there last week. I think it is nearly a 50 or 60,000 btu burner table so I can start doing some all grain once I get the other needed items.

I am curious about this pot though. It looks like a great value for the money. The few reviews I read say it is pretty solid.

Anyone??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A few things about aluminum pots:

1) Remember that before you use it, you need to build up an oxidation layer, or else aluminum will leech into your brew. To build up an oxidation layer, just boil a pot full of water for about 15-20 minutes, then dump the water. A little discoloration from this oxidation is normal.

2) Oxygen-based and caustic cleaners, like PBW or Oxiclean, will actually eat through the oxidation layer, so you don't want to use these types of cleaners on your aluminum pot, unless you want to re-establish the oxidation layer after each cleaning. Stick to acid-based cleaners, and never scrub the walls with anything coarse, like steel wool, just use a sponge or something soft like that.

3) Aluminum conducts heat better than stainless steel. This is both good and bad. The aluminum pot will heat up water more quickly than SS, but it also will dissipate heat faster than SS, so it will lose heat as fast as it transfers it. One of the positives to this is that you will also be able to cool down in a ice bath faster than you would be able to with a SS pot.

So that's pretty much the pros and cons. If you are cool with all these points, go for it! I personally have both an aluminum pot and a SS pot, and I perfer the SS. Go for the aluminum if it is strictly a financial decision to get started on homebrewing, but if you can afford it, save up for a good SS pot, which you should be able to find for about $60-80.

Good luck!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Ramitt Likes This 
Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Topher summed the pros/cons well. I have one of each (alum and SS) and haven't had any issues with brews made in either one. In fact, I've made the same brew in each kettle and haven't had any off-flavors from the aluminum. I'd go with it.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I use a 60qt AL industrial kitchen pot. Its perfect for batches up to 10 gal. Used it for 7 years with gas heating. I just converted it to electric heating with a 5500w element installed through the side. Still works great. No regrets. Go for it.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
JWS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I use the exact same pot, have for all but the first few beers I made. Works perfectly. Don't know if you are planning to do BIAB, but that's what I planned on doing first and the basket works perfectly to do BIAB on this pot.

Just do like TopherM said and boil water in it at first to build up the barrier. Since I was doing BIAB I just put about 8 gallons in it, that way I was covered all over from the aluminum.

Primary- Air
Secondary- Air

Keg 1- Schitzngiggle Oktoberfest
Keg 2- Flat Tire Amber Ale
Keg 3- Twisted Pumpkin Ale
Keg 4- A Night in Vegas APA

Bottled- Summer Saison, Bohemian Dunkel, Second Shot Irish Ale, The Kraken Barleywine

On Deck- Schwarzbier, Snooty Fox Brown Ale, HOP-Head IPA

Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a 60 qt aluminum Bayou Classic for mostly 5 gallon BIAB batches (got tired of babysitting my 8 gal turkey fryer). Great size for 5 gallon batches without worry of boilover.

An alternative to boiling water for 15-20 minutes to oxidize is to put it into the oven (if your oven will fit it) and bake for 15-20 @ 350F. This will also oxidize it.

As for cleaning, I've only ever used water and a non-abrasive sponge. I collect the water from immersion cooling into 5 gallon buckets and pour that in for cleanup (nice and warm so my hands don't freeze during the winter), then water my trees with it. Hop material and protein break/grain particulates come off easily with a little water, and are good plant food. Never had a need to use anything else to clean it.

Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Love mine. Done as much as 12gal in it. About ten batches so far--just watch your boil-off rate and adjust sparge amounts as needed.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Krazlikesbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great. Thanks everyone. I will pick it up next weekend then.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
dkmitg
Recipes 

You might want to check Walmart first I picked up a turkey fryer and aluminum pot for 30$ that I do my all grain 5 gallon batches in

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Krazlikesbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have points to use at bass pro so this wont cost me anything. I bought a 60,000 btu burner table there a couple of weeks ago. The pot holds 15 gallons and has a faucet and thermometer on it. I checked it out it seemed pretty good quality. Lid seemed lightweight but the pot itself seems pretty sturdy.

Quick Reply