Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > barrel aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
btmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default barrel aging

I ended up with one of the balcones whiskey barrels, and have a barley wine in there for about 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how long to leave it? Also storage after I rack it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmann
I ended up with one of the balcones whiskey barrels, and have a barley wine in there for about 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how long to leave it? Also storage after I rack it?
I had a 7.5%abv American Stout in mine for 1.5 weeks and it was a little over oaked for my tastes, but since I'm planning on aging it out 6-8 months, it should be perfect.

I went from the barrel into a carboy to bulk age for the majority of that time, then will bottle and condition for as long as I can keep it around.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

It's going to be different for every barrel and every beer. The only way is to taste it periodically.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
It's going to be different for every barrel and every beer. The only way is to taste it periodically.
+1 to this.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
w9nl
Recipes 

I just got a 5 gallon whiskey barrel myself. How full did you fill the barrel? Was there any head space left in the barrel? It was recommended to me that I should not have any headspace in the barrel. I have about 6.5 gallons in my primary and want to make sure after transferring I will have enough considering trub on the bottom of the primary.

Then again if this is a freshly empty barrel and I only have it I for a short period of time, will it even matter with this batch. I say this based on the 3-3-3 method mentioned in this thread.

Quick Reply