Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barleywine - Will it last 20 years?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #31
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is not speaking from experience. However, I would probably buy a used Corny keg, PBW it, sanitize, rack, pressurize, and purge Oxygen (instead of bottles). This way I could be pretty certain that I've purged all oxygen as well feeling pretty certain that the Keg was completely clean as well.

You would still be able to bury it and would also be very easy to take samples from (without having to waste a full beer on every sample).

Reconditioned cornies go for $30-$40 and worth a 20 year investment (IMO).

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #32
old_tx_kbb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hap.... I meant to age it in a keg....not a plastic bottle. Use the carbonator on a sample taken from the keg and carbonate it in the plastic bottle.

Kegged: Dry Stout
Primary: Imperial IPA
Whiskey Barrel: Imperial Stout
On Deck: Wee Heavy
Dry Stout
Saison
Bo Pils

Reason: spelling

Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #33
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tx_kbb
Hap.... I meant to age it in a keg....not a plastic bottle. Use the carbonator on a sample taken from the keg and carbonate it in the plastic bottle.
Yeah, I kinda interpreted your message incorrectly. I agree with your thoughts completely. I'd feel much better aging in a keg rather than bottles.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #34
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get a bottle of utopias and let it age for 20 years? Maybe you could put it in a tiny little barrel?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #35
Locus415
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am continuing my research to do the doble doble as well. First kid on the way any day now. I really would prefer to bottle as I like the idea of having a sample each year on the way up to 21. But I think somewhere around 17 to 18, it is gonna be hard to hide my reactions to tasting the sample from the not so little anymore nipper. If you knew your dad had a stash of 17 year old barley wine that he brags about at least once a year, every year you have been alive; try to tell me you wouldn't be ripping the house apart and digging up the yard to find it!

So, I am doing a 20# MO + 1.5#Biscuit + .5# Special B split to two 11# grists and doble doble mashed. Pitching with a washed cake of WLP500 trappist. Bottling in (20) twelve oz. bottles with 02 caps, one for each year to sample, and the rest in champagne bottles, corked and wired.

Now... where to dig that hole?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #36
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Zombie thread! But on a 20 year aging process, this is to be expected.

I agree with runningweird that if you're going to the trouble of brewing an ultra-long aging beer, you might as well make a big mead too. I'm thinking a Bochet? Or whatever - mead's amazing regardless.

Quick Reply