Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barleywine - Will it last 20 years?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

+1 on the mead after 20 years won't be much hop left. I had a bottle left at parents house 5 years not hoppy at all just malty 7.6%...........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #22
bryanjints
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a 10 year old in the bottle Barleywine made by someone else. Like previously state the hops had faded. It was great though. You could always bulk age it for a few years then dry hop it with a bunch of high AA hops then bottle it.

I would also lead towards a mead. I have one in secondary right now for my daughter.

Olde Brick House Brewery....I live in a brick house built in 1782.

Beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy.

www.barleylegalhomebrewers.com

Old 06-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #23
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 68

All excellent suggestions here. But I'm going to throw in my $0.02 as to how the process should go down:

- Use Belgian bottles, i.e., the wine-like bottles you can cork and cage/cap. It looks really nice and is better for long-term storage.

- Do you have a cave? Leave them in a crate in there. If you don't and are willing to do so, dig out a hole about as big as a 55-gallon trash can but deeper. Put them in crates and put it in the can and bury that mofo. That will prevent you from wanting to check and bother them and will also keep them at cellar temperatures without any effort from you after the digging.

Hope that helps!

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:10 AM   #24
SaccharoVices
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have one bottle left of a homebrew tripel that will be 10 years old in november, maybe I'll crack it open (was going to wait till it's birthday) - that batch was good enough 9years ago to get me a gig at a brewery (only lasted 3 years) - what could be left of it? apprx 10.5% ABV, may just open it to contribute tasting notes to this thread. used oxy absorbing caps, wonder if they actually do anything. will echo other posts that high ABV and IBU's are the way to go, just be careful in the OG of your ferment, maybe start at .100 and add concentrated wort in increments throughout the ferment to keep from taxing the yeast too terribly. stuck ferms are a pain.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #25
old_tx_kbb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd take Revvy's idea forward a little bit more. Make a big Barleywine....bigger than 12%

If you keg the batch after primary and set the keg aside, you could add some whole hops in a mesh bag for awhile at anytime to dry hop it.....be it 1...2 ...5...10...or twenty years....for a nice hop aroma.

Then, if you have a carbonator that would fit on a 1 or 2 liter PET bottle, you could age your brew for as long as you want...and take a sample every now and then after dry hopping ...using the carbonator to carbonate whatever amount of a sample that you'd want.

That would be sweet!

I currently have a 20% Barleywine that I'm doing that with....but I doubt that it will last for 20 more years....I wonder if I will either....lol...

Good on ya....good luck!

Oh yeah...I oaked it as well....

Kegged: Dry Stout
Primary: Imperial IPA
Whiskey Barrel: Imperial Stout
On Deck: Wee Heavy
Dry Stout
Saison
Bo Pils

Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #26
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaccharoVices View Post
I have one bottle left of a homebrew tripel that will be 10 years old in november, maybe I'll crack it open (was going to wait till it's birthday) - that batch was good enough 9years ago to get me a gig at a brewery (only lasted 3 years) - what could be left of it? apprx 10.5% ABV, may just open it to contribute tasting notes to this thread. used oxy absorbing caps, wonder if they actually do anything. will echo other posts that high ABV and IBU's are the way to go, just be careful in the OG of your ferment, maybe start at .100 and add concentrated wort in increments throughout the ferment to keep from taxing the yeast too terribly. stuck ferms are a pain.
Pleeeeeeeeeaaaase post here when you open it!!! It's severely piqued my interest!!!

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #27
Sparky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have a Chimay Bleu clone from 2001 that I dug out of the cave, which was a surprise. It is now in the wine fridge and I will post pictures of when I open it next week.

FYI, I like post #23: use Belgium bottles and pickle-those-pups away. Time flies, believe me....

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #28
Snotpoodle
Recipes 

Wow, fantastic advice so far..thank you!

Apart from brewing a barleywine, I'll now apparently also be digging a hole!

My thoughts on the oak + whiskey was that the flavours seem to last in whiskey at 10, 15, 20 years, hence why i thought i might get some to stick around in the barleywine.

Removing O2 another excellent idea, as is the belgian bottles + corks + Cages, where would i get my hands on these?

I'll definately putge C02, and more than likely try the oxy tabs, can't hurt can it.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotpoodle View Post
Removing O2 another excellent idea, as is the belgian bottles + corks + Cages, where would i get my hands on these
LHBS or an online homebrew store. This Rebel Brewer page was the first thing to pop up when I searched "homebrew belgian bottles."

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #30
joeldp144
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have heard the country song "Dust on the Bottle", but 20 years from now, there might be.....a little dust IN THE BOTTLE. I love this idea.

Maybe you could sample one each year on his birthday just to see how things are going through the years. If you bottle 5 gallons, then you should still have plenty left over for his 21st b-day.

Quick Reply