New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barleywine - Will it last 20 years?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Snotpoodle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Barleywine - Will it last 20 years?

Hi,

I was toying with the idea of brewing up a 10 - 11% ABV Barleywine, and conditioning it for 20 years, to drink on 10 July 2031 on my sons 21st birthday.

If i pick one of the high end barleywine recipes here, primary and secondary for about 3 or 4 months, does anyone think there would be any flavour left over if i bottled and kept 2 cases in a cellar for 20 years?

the idea is that this would still be 1) Drinkable and 2) have some taste after all that time.

Is this possible with a barleywine, has anyone tried it, is there perhaps something else I could brew up instead?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

No clue, but congrats on the little one!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

If it works I would kill for one of them in 20 years to see what its like

Old 06-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would aim for 15% and more hops than normal.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I agree with jeepin. a higher abv would be the best thing to do as I understand it will extend lifespan of the brew. Higher hops would be best as well because they will be nonexistent within a few years anyway so you might as well get the flavor you can. I have read many people say that after a few years their 100 IBU barleywine was nowhere near hoppy enough and got way too sweet as the beer aged. you could in theory consider "jacking" it by freezing it to concentrate it and bottling it, although since this site is US based you cannot distill anything here. where you are though you could freeze distill it all you want.

whatever you do keep us posted, i would love to make a barleywine and age it for that long.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

also you could try a mead, which if made correctly could be amazing in twenty years.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Snotpoodle
Recipes 

Thank you, good ideas all round.

Maybe a super beefed up version of DFH's 120IPA would work, something with crazy amounts of hops (good tip thanks).

I'll look into distilling it, another great idea.

I am sure I will have to find a way around oxidation....noone wants to wait 20years to drink cardboard.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mosher describes a "Doble-Doble" where the first runnings of a mash are heated to strike temp, then used as the liquor for a second mash of additional grain.

"During the 18th and 19th centuries, strong brews were produced in private house breweries to to celebrate special events. A double beer might be brewed at the birth of a son, then saved and savored when he reached his majority". (Radical Brewing, pg 135). I remembered that from the book when I read your post.

His "Ignoble Doble-Doble" calls for 20lb Maris Otter and 2 lb biscuit with 11oz Goldings. OG 1.120, ABV 9-10.5%.

No mention if it'll last 20 years though.

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
lastsecondapex
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd get a very distictive resiny hop that will leave a lot of oils. Amarillo, Simcoe, and Warrior would probably be a good mix of candidates. I can only imagine that flushing the bottles with CO2, right before bottling, could only help.

I have a couple Old Stock ales that I purchased that were bottled in 1996, I cracked one a few weeks ago and it was still nicely carbed, just oxidized like crazy (Sherry, not cardboard).

Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I would aim for 15% and more hops than normal.
I agree.

I did an og 1.150 barleywine with 150 ibu's last summer, with 50 year old honey, for my 45 birthday to lay up for five years til my fiftieth. It's still in tertiary, I'm going to over dry hop for a few weeks before I actullay bottle it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply