Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barleywine time frame?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dan View Post
I have a BW in primary right now that will go to secondary in a couple weeks (4 wks in primary), and it will be in secondary until the middle of November (8 wks).

Hoping to try one or two at Christmas, but will let the rest age and see how they are over time.

I am planning to get smaller bottles (6 oz, or 187ml) if i can find some that aren't clear; that has been tough so far. I will have more bottles to sample over time that way!
I have some 8oz coke and dr pepper bottles I use mainly for lemonade,you could use them just keep them out of the light because they are clear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
BlakeL
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
I have some 8oz coke and dr pepper bottles I use mainly for lemonade,you could use them just keep them out of the light because they are clear.
I was able to get some 7oz green champagne bottles from a wine supply store that I used for my Barleywine. The brew day was sometime in June and I plan on cracking open one bottle to drink with a friend around Christmas. The rest will be aged until next Christmas.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I recently found three six packs of Barleywine I made back in March 2009. It's absolutely fantastic. As everyone's said, never wait to brew a barleywine, wait to drink it. The truth is, I generally start drinking mine about 3-4 months after brewing, but I try to limit it until it gets really aged. I strongly recommend you "lose" as six pack of it somewhere in your house. Future you will be very thankful.

Quick Reply