Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barleywine Fermentation, oh my!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
bobbyc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Barleywine Fermentation, oh my!

I just started fermenting a 1.092 OG Barleywine atop 2, yes 2, California Ale yeast cakes from a pair of 5-gallon stouts I just racked to secondary. Fermentation began within minutes, soon making my airlock sound like a hyper cricket (first impression, go with it). Anyway, I quickly fashioned a blowoff tube on my 6.5 gal bucket with a rather small diameter tube... maybe 1/4". Question is this: should I worry about this thing clogging up? If so, what's the most likely scenario with the bucket? Lid pop-off? Blow-off tube pop-off? Sides split?

I'll be watching this one closely for the next day or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
BrewmanBeing
Recipes 

Most likely scenario is that the bucket will explode, sending razor sharp shards of plastic flying in all directions at an unimaginable speed. Your house will be destroyed and it will kill you and all life within about a half mile. Let us know how it tastes!

Old 10-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

a 1/4" tube will not do the trick. I would recommend placing the fermenter on a large piece of plastic or in your bathtub with a pint glass over the airlock hole.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
bobbyc

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmanBeing
Most likely scenario is that the bucket will explode, sending razor sharp shards of plastic flying in all directions at an unimaginable speed. Your house will be destroyed and it will kill you and all life within about a half mile. Let us know how it tastes!
That would be an amazing story to tell. Especially if I still had a shard of palstic embedded in my thigh when I was real old. I could tell the story to scare the grandkids.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc
That would be an amazing story to tell. Especially if I still had a shard of palstic embedded in my thigh when I was real old. I could tell the story to scare the grandkids.

And you wouldn't even need to worry about setting off the metal detectors at airports! That's so cool.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:44 AM   #6
Teedocious
Recipes 

Same thing happening to me tonight. Barleywine too (OG 108). Pitched a giant starter (1gal made w/stirplate) & fermentation was almost instant.

No prob though, I setup a 1/2OD blowoff tube - never had any problems with clogging before - so I'll be good, right?

Checked in on it an hour ago (pitch +6hrs.) - barleywine krausen dripping down my bucket onto the floor (carpeted floor). Sweet. The tube got clogged with some crap & krausen was escaping down from the edges around the lid (I guess they don't seal perfectly, luckily for me).

Threw the pail in the shower with a couple inches of water in the bottom, from two rooms over I can still hear the thing oozing out the sides. I'll probably lose a gallon of awesome barleywine too b/c of this - shoot.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
bobbyc

Recipes 

Mine has been fermenting for about 17 hours now, and I've only cleaned out the blow-off tube once. It seems to be settling down a bit now, so I think I'll be good. No barleywine lost... sucks that you're losing some.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:51 AM   #8
madjazz
Recipes 

I had a glass carboy explode (thousands of pieces!) a few weeks ago because my blow off tube was too small (1/2). I now swear by 1.25" outside diameter (1" inside) tubes for blowing off. They fit perfectly into the top of a carboy, no need for a stopper and no worries about clogging!

Double Red

Enjoying
Barley Wine
Toffee Ale
American IPA (with a touch of black patent!!!)
Spiced Cyser
Blue Berry Melomel
Honey Tangerine Mesquite Melomel
Imeprial IPA

Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My BW krausen got to the neck of the airlock, maybe an inch from contaminating the airlock, and stopped. Lucky...

That was the closest I've been to a blowoff, unless you count the starter for my last brew---put it in a 1L growler, left for the day, it proceeded to kasplode all over my spare shower. Wheeee!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

With the volume of CO2 coming out of that thing, the only good a tube does is directing the mess. You don't need an airlock as long as it is blowing like that. Once it slows down, then you can start thinking about stuff getting in.

Quick Reply