Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barleycrusher setting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
BullF-16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Barleycrusher setting

I just finished my first attempt at all grain yesterday. It is Ed Worts haus pale ale. I added an extra pound of grain because i anticipated a low pre boil OG. The pre boil OG for 6.5 gallons was 1.041. The post boil was good at 1.06.

I mashed at 152 deg for an hour in 14.5 qts water and double batch sparged with about 4 1/2 gallons of 180 deg water. I figure the crush from AHS was a little light?

I broke down and ordered a Barleycrusher from Northernbrewer.com and an IPA all grain kit.

What is the best setting to use to "roll my own"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You are going to have to play with it, some people leave it at the factory .038".
I have mine at .025" and I am going to bump it back to .030"
It also depends on your manifold, I have cpvc with 1/16" holes instead of slits cut in it.
I used to have a manifold with slits and it let all kinds of material through, ever since switching to the holes, I have little to no material coming through, which allows me a finer crush.

Hope this helps.
Josh

Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Poppy360
Recipes 

I just used my new BC for the first time today, set at the factory setting. The crush is SO much finer than what you would get from, for example, Northern Brewer.

I left it stock to see if, and how much, the efficiency will improve over precrushed grain.

Drinking:09-09-09 Barleywine

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I believe the factory setting .039 or at least that is what Ray the owner told me when I bought mine. I have adjusted mine down to .035 and I get and avg of 83% efficiency and use a cpvc manifold.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
BullF-16
Recipes 

Thanks for the replys, i will leave it at default for the first batch. Them maybe adjust down a bit. Is it east to adjust?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Thanks for the replys, i will leave it at default for the first batch. Them maybe adjust down a bit. Is it east to adjust?
Yes, it's easy if you have a set of feeler gauges. I'd suggest checking yours before using it for the first time, mine came from the factory with uneven settings. It was .039 on one end, and considerably wider on the other.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
scottfro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
Yes, it's easy if you have a set of feeler gauges. I'd suggest checking yours before using it for the first time, mine came from the factory with uneven settings. It was .039 on one end, and considerably wider on the other.

agreed........

Secondary:

Bottled:
#30 Chocolate Porter
#27 Smoked Ale
#26 Hard Apple Cider (Champagne Yeast)
#25 Big Als' Blackberry Brew 2008
#15 Hard Apple Cyser

Kegged:
#31 Field Hand Hefeweizen

http://www.deterrabrewing.com/forum <-- Vancouver Homebrewing Network

Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
+2
Mine must have been assembled on a Monday morning. I had like .040 on one end and .043 on the other. I was getting 70% efficiency with that.

I followed the instructions that came with my BC an didn't bother to break out the gauges to double check the gap. One of the non-concentric bushings that adjust the gap must be in 180° out of alignment with the knob, because the gap gets wider when the instructions say it should be getting tighter.

Bottom line: get out your feeler gauges and check the gap at both ends.

Mine's now set at .038" on both ends, and I am planning on using it this Saturday. We'll see if my eff. goes up, but I'm really hoping it does better than the 59% I got when I misaligned it using just the instructions and I was too lazy to actually measure the gap. Lesson learned here.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Quick Reply