Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > barley crusher or ? what mill should i buy...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #41
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdMerican View Post
Run it once first and brew on it. Tightening it up could result in stuck sparges. I get close to stuck almost every time with factory settings, but never actually stall until the very very end and I have enough wort collected. See what you think where it is, and if you don't like it go from there.
Thanks for the heads up! I BIAB, so I'm not worried about a stuck sparge, but running it once with factory settings isn't a bad idea, at least to get a baseline. I do wanna just check the factory gap, as I've heard it can vary slightly from unit to unit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #42
Griff777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I too have been very pleased with the barley crusher brand. I use marris otter and two row and have found mine works best with the adjustment just slightly counterclockwise of factory settings. I lightly condition grain to cut down on dust, and get a perfect crush with whole husks remaining for a perfect sparge.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #43
Slowfro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't had any complaints (knock on wood) so far with my Barley Crusher. Great results, fast crush. Not sure if the other brands also do this (I would assume they do) but BC scores the 1 roller so you can adjust and know where the factory settings are to go back to it as a baseline for testing.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #44
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar View Post
Silly question, sorry to hijack...

What kind of feeler gauge do you all use to check your roller gap for your BC? I just got one, and I wanna check/optimize my gap!
Gap setter from the auto parts store.

Quick Reply