Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > barley crusher or ? what mill should i buy...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
tnlandsailor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

All the roller mills are basically the same. What you are paying for are features and convenience. If you buy the Barley Crusher, it will come ready to grind, no real assembly required. If you don't mind some fabrication, you can buy a CrankandStein or a Monster mill which need to be mounted. But all of them are essentially the same - two rollers, adjustable gap, motorizing capability, etc. The only real difference that I see is that the C&S has a feature on the ends of the rollers to help keep the idle roller turning (called the "grain-engaged gear teeth" feature). Their 2S model is pretty bare bones but is very reasonably priced at $67.00 - but by the time you fab a stand and hopper for it, it might be worth it to spring for the BC.

Some things to remember:

1. Get the largest hopper that is practical. The little hoppers are inconvenient and a bit of a pain. It's very nice to be able to fit your whole grain bill into the hopper.
  2. If you plan on getting a motor to motorize your mill (not a drill drive), make sure the drive shaft is 1/2" dia and not 3/8" dia. The large sheaves that you will need are not available (or at least really difficult to find) for 3/8" shafts..
  3. If you motorize your mill, try to keep the RPM's fairly low - below 200 is best. While there are many folks who mill at 300+ RPM's, I think the issue of shredded husks is more a function of mill speed than roller gap.
  4. Adjustability is nice, but you will find that you mill will wander over time. Keep a dedicated feeler gage with your mill so that you can check it periodically.
Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Padstack31
Recipes 

check out this post...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40038&highlight=mill+stand

Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Barley Crushers are great grain mills that come ready to go when they arrive. The price for what you get is not bad either.
The other grain mills require some work on your part to make them useable. If you have the ability and/or want something not offered by the BC then this is an excellent way to go.
Most of the mills are easily motorized with a drill. Mounting a permanent motor is just a nice option and better suited to the bare bones unit where you can build your own stand.
I've got the BC with the small hopper. This works just fine for me. I enjoy the little bit of work required to crank the mill by hand. Though i will probably break out the drill for the 09-09-09 grain bill.

Craig

Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I ordered the Barley Crusher this past weekend, based on all of the good comments on this site. It will be arriving tomorrow and I'm going to use it for my first AG this weekend. I'm stoked!

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The Barley Crusher in my opinion is the best mill built. Randy the owner is a real nice guy and really cares about his customers. He will always stand behind his product and it is a quality built Michigan made piece of art.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #16
Rhino17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll chime in as another very pleased BC owner. I purchased one a couple of years ago; shipping to Canada was no problem, and I've probably put 300lbs + of grain through it so far, without issue.

It is well built, reasonably priced, and works perfectly right out of the box.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find even one unhappy BC owner.

Rhino

Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone have the bigger Micro-Brew model? That thing is a monster!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 AM   #18
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks like the Barley crusher is the way to go. I built mine but if you are looking to buy one the guy from Barley crusher seems to be a straight shooter. Really good customer service from what I have read on here

Old 08-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #19
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I have a Crank and Stein (3 roller, very sweet) and started with a Corona, which lasted about 4 batches before it gave up. For the 'fabrication', I bought a $10 tractor diesel gas funnel, which holds about 10# of grain, and went with that. Granted, I spent a bit more for the 3 roller, but I get a better crush out of it than I would with a 2 roller. And, for $10 more, I have something that won't break or get damaged. Sweet setup!!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:18 AM   #20
Amiaji
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'll be using my BC for the first time tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Beer is for drinking,
Homebrew is for sharing.

Quick Reply