New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > barley crusher or ? what mill should i buy...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
SomedumbJerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default barley crusher or ? what mill should i buy...

i continuously hear about the barley crusher. i hear that it's great. it also is like $140 shipped with a hopper and handle, and ready to put a drill on it. are there any downsides? why do you guys get the monster mills or the crank and steins and build your own? (excluding the three roller system, this i understand) i'm like this close, to closing the deal, but i feel like there is something i'm missing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Caveat: I do not own any sort of grain milling/crushing device.

That being said, everyone around that owns a Barley Crusher raves about it. Some pimp the Corona mill, some do not.

If I get in into the grain mill biz, I'll be buying the BC.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
rurounikitsune
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I spent ~$300 for a Country Living Grain Mill. Makes really nice, fine flour out of wheat, barley, or corn... all of which I am growing... and I can even make peanut butter with it. I can loosen up the plates a bit and get a great barley crush out of it... no shredded husks, a good amount of flour, and high efficiency. I feel a lot better with it than spending half that price on something that can only crush barley... Not to demean the fine folks who are having great success with the Barley Crusher. It just wasn't the best choice for me personally, as I also needed a mill to begin with.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
videoman

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The first mill I purchased was the Corona. It definately takes some trial and error, but you can get a decent crush. I've had brews into the 87% eff. range with the Corona. But it is imperfect, no doubt... but for $50, you can do business with it.

Recently I purchased a Barley Crusher. I'm confident I'm going to get a high level of consistancy with the BC with a lot less effort. That is why I decided to upgrade.

On Deck -
Drinking -

Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love mine. It worked well directly from Adventure in Homebrewing in MI. He made sure it was set right prior to selling it to my wife. I used it for my PM beers and now plan to use it for my AG's.

Primary: IPA
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions

Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
auto
ARC Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good stuff, probably my next purchase after 4 way Co2 regulator and some more Better Bottle Fermenters.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I got a Crankandstein because it was ~$65 shipped. Also I could build the hopper to what I wanted which I did for about $10. So I got a mill that I wanted for about half the price.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the Crankndstein. SWMBO got me one for Christms a couple years ago. That thing is freakin sweet. And like sause said, building my own hopper was nice. I think mine holds something like 15-20 pounds of grain.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
vfinch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty happy with the Pokart (Corona) that I picked up used for $30. I spent about 10 minutes playing with it to set the crush and I now have it at the sweet spot, and it works like a charm.

Next Up: Something...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm very happy with my BC. I was not in a position to build my own base and hopper (brewing time is hard enough to come by as it is), so the BC was a great solution. I'm extremely happy with the quality of the unit and the quality (and adjustability) of the crush. I also like the fact that it comes with a hand crank, but is very readily motorized via an electric drill, although I suppose this is true of most mills. And, while I've not had cause to test this out myself yet, apparently their customer service is outstanding, and he really stands behind his product.

Quick Reply