Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barley Crusher on the way

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
plumber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Barley Crusher on the way

After plenty of review on differnt threads here I ordered a Barley Crusher. Can't wait to start using it. When it gets here I will be making my 5th AG. I found that the HBS grain mill does not do a good crush. First three AG averaged 55-60% fourth AG I ran through there mill twice and got 70% so now I am hopping to get 75-80%. Is this out of line to hope for? What size opening seems to work the best? I am also going to get a feeler gauge to keep better track of distance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber
After plenty of review on differnt threads here I ordered a Barley Crusher. Can't wait to start using it. When it gets here I will be making my 5th AG. I found that the HBS grain mill does not do a good crush. First three AG averaged 55-60% fourth AG I ran through there mill twice and got 70% so now I am hopping to get 75-80%. Is this out of line to hope for? What size opening seems to work the best? I am also going to get a feeler gauge to keep better track of distance.
I will be picking up my BC in the next week or so as well. I have high hopes for it and wish you the best.

But, I do have to wonder if there is more to this than a BC. I will certainly look forward to it helping me to increase the chances of my making great beer, a part of me still wonders if I also need to contribute added value.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You Bastid! Congrats!

Corrupt Brewers

Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber
If you batch sparge one of the best things you can do to increase efficiency is a better crush. I bet your will see it rise into the 70's. I did a couple at factory settings and then slightly decreased the gap and still have not had a problem in mashing\sparging.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
videoman

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
If you batch sparge one of the best things you can do to increase efficiency is a better crush. I bet your will see it rise into the 70's. I did a couple at factory settings and then slightly decreased the gap and still have not had a problem in mashing\sparging.
I second that... I fly sparge, but still, making a change to my crush pushed me from the 60's to the high 80's on efficiency... just from the crush.

Now of course there are a myrid of reasons why a batch might not reach it's full potential, but nailing the crush will be a significant step in getting close to perfection!!! Good luck.
On Deck -
Drinking -

Quick Reply