Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barley Crusher Owners - What's a good gap setting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Barley Crusher Owners - What's a good gap setting?

I really wanted to get a Monster Mill grain mill but I couldn't order one online. All the LHBS's in my part of the state only carry the Barley Crusher so that's what I wound up buying. It looks like a nice mill, and plenty of people seem to be happy with it so I expect it will serve me well. It comes from the factory supposedly preset at a .039 gap. Should I just leave it there, or is there a better setting I should try?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Buy feeler gauges if you don't have them and check the gap, some have reported it not being set correct from the get go. I'd do your first batch @ .039 and see how you like it, or adjust as needed after a pound of grain. I have mine set @ .034 and use wet conditioned grain. I could probably go tighter but don't see any real reason to do so.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Fatgodzilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Buy feeler gauges if you don't have them and check the gap, some have reported it not being set correct from the get go. I'd do your first batch @ .039 and see how you like it, or adjust as needed after a pound of grain. I have mine set @ .034 and use wet conditioned grain. I could probably go tighter but don't see any real reason to do so.
Just remember also that the different grains you will be crushing come in different sizes and have varying degrees of hard huskness. If you often use differnt grains, there will be no single suitable size (therefore the default is okay). If you primarily crush only one grain, then Samc's advice is applicable but remember he wets conditions his grain before usage.

I have left my BC at the default as I may use any of six base malts and am satisfied.

There is no right answer to the "best" gap, just experience will tell you the gap your brewing styles require.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.—Mark Twain

Old 05-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I left mine at the factory setting. My efficiency is running a little over 70%.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have mine on the default setting and it works great for me. I played around with the settings a few times but went back to the original gap as it seems to work best all around.

Just to let you know, there is a rubber o-ring on one of the rollers that is going to break off the first or second time you use it. It's supposed to do that. It's just there for manufacturing and testing purposes and has nothing to do with the operation of the mill. If it finds it's way into the mash, it won't hurt anything either so don't freak when it happens.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
I have mine on the default setting and it works great for me. I played around with the settings a few times but went back to the original gap as it seems to work best all around.

Just to let you know, there is a rubber o-ring on one of the rollers that is going to break off the first or second time you use it. It's supposed to do that. It's just there for manufacturing and testing purposes and has nothing to do with the operation of the mill. If it finds it's way into the mash, it won't hurt anything either so don't freak when it happens.
I noticed that o-ring when I was looking at the rollers. I kind of figured it would have a short life span. I couldn't figure out what it was there for. Glad to hear that it's not for anything important, thanks.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have not adjusted my mill from the factory setting and I notice the grind is a bit more fine than the LHBS I used to get my grain milled from. I have had no problems with stuck run off, so I have left it alone. My efficiency runs anywhere from 75% - 85% depending on the grain bill. I am happy at this time with that.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 05-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Could not even tell you. Left mine alone and am getting 75 to 78 every batch. So I haven't even looked at it.

Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy.
-Ben Franklin

Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Definitely check the gap because besides what I am about to tell you, a lot of people on this board have said theirs was off when they received it. Mine was .42 a week ago when I checked it.

That said, I left it at .42 for my first batch with it and jumped 10% in efficiency. If after 3 batches it averages round there, I'm leaving it.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've never measured or adjusted mine. I tend to get efficiency in the mid eighties for average size beers. Don't fix whats not broken.

Quick Reply