HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barley Crusher not performing...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Mellman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Barley Crusher not performing...

I've had a barley crusher for 2-3 years now and It's been great. about 4 brews in, it lost that O'ring that helped both wheels spin at the same time... It turned up in my mash tun, but the mill still performed and I was getting 73+% efficiency so figured it wasn't needed. So this weekend I brewed two batches and had nothing but issues with the mill! It would just spin the one roller and no grain would get fed. I never touched the settings since i received it since it was working fine. So in order to get grain to crush I had to widen the gap...then run things through a second time with a slightly finer crush. My efficiency suffered greatly as I came in roughly 10-13 points lower than my target OG.

So I guess that rubber O-ring is really required? or is something else going on here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just had this problem recently as well. I found that if you start out with only a little bit in the hopper, crush for maybe 5 seconds to get it going, then fill your hopper all the way up, it seems to work. It just seems to need a little umph to get it going. Pain in the ass though, if you ask me. I have adjusted mine a bit to get a finer crush.

If anyone does have some other options, I'd love to hear them as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I run mine at .032 without the o-ring. That o-ring failed the second time I used it and I've never missed having it. I do condition my grain. I also run mine with a 1/2" drill motor as slow as I can.

Do the rollers spin freely? Maybe a spot of oil in the bushings will help...

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Mine is set at .035, no o ring and no issues. It's a couple years old and serves me well with a consistent 82% mash/lauter efficiency.

Sounds like one of your rollers is off or stuck. I too use a drill at low speed and it works well.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
HawksBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1032 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Mine is set at .035, no o ring and no issues. It's a couple years old and serves me well with a consistent 82% mash/lauter efficiency.

Sounds like one of your rollers is off or stuck. I too use a drill at low speed and it works well.
This. Check your rollers. My o-ring fell off the first time I used it and I just assumed it was there for shipping purposes. Haven't thought about it since.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Mellman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

rollers spin fine if i try to move them with my hands, i put a little grain in ther and spun slow and it just jostled the grain around wouldln't actually get any between the rollers., use a 1/2" drill at low speed same process i've used for the past 2 or 3 years since i bought this thing. again it would crush if i used a wide gap but was hardly efficient.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1578 Times on 1272 Posts

fwiw, the o-ring is installed during assembly of the mill to assist alignment of the end plates while assuring the free roller spins easily. Once all the bolts are run tight the o-ring's function is pretty much done.

I have a BC and periodic cleaning is a must. Flour gets packed between the roller ends and the end plates causing binding of the free roller. I have a compressor so after milling my bill I blow out all the built-up debris...

Cheers!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellman
rollers spin fine if i try to move them with my hands, i put a little grain in ther and spun slow and it just jostled the grain around wouldln't actually get any between the rollers., use a 1/2" drill at low speed same process i've used for the past 2 or 3 years since i bought this thing. again it would crush if i used a wide gap but was hardly efficient.
Is it possible the ridges are wearing out on the rollers? 2-3 years old and how much grain do you mill?

The rollers ridges will wear down over time with a lot of use. Also did you check your gap? Is it possible it closed up a bit ?

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Mellman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

suppose it could wear down...it has seen a lot of use, but i don't know what a lot is, a quick estimate is probably 2-3000 lbs of grain it's had through it? Done quite a bit of brewing in the last year. I'll try cleaning with the air compressor/taking it apart.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
MBTB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The same thing has happened with mine 3 times in the last 4 years. I'm convinced that the grain jams against itself at the bottom of the tapered hopper preventing it from falling into the rollers. I push a long thin screwdriver down to the rollers to break up the jam ( with nothing rotating of course ). It then works fine.

Quick Reply