Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barley Crusher not crushing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
pomofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Barley Crusher not crushing

I'm having trouble with my barley crusher. It started during my last brew where it would periodically stop crushing, but now it won't crush at all. I ground 4 pounds of grain this afternoon, then went to put in an additional 5 of base malt and nothing happened. The main roller will spin but the slave roller won't pick up anything, neither with the drill nor by hand. Occasionally If toss a handful of grain in the slave will pick up, but it will quickly stop again. Any tips as to how to fix this? I've tried adjusting the rollers, everything from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, to no avail.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Maybe the bushings on the idle roll are just full of flour. Just because the idle roller isn't turning, doesn't mean it isn't crushing.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
pomofo
Recipes 

No, when it crushes I can feel the resistance through the drill, there's no resistance now. Plus I've picked up the mill base just slightly to look underneath and there's no crush coming through.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
telebrewer
Recipes 

Had the same thing happen the other day. Make sure the idle roller is free to turn. Mine had a lot of resistance and I cleaned it out. Once it turned freely, it worked fine again. Let us know if you find another reason.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Try brushing out the rollers from underneath getting into the bushing ends and clearing out as much dust and debris as you can. Spraying with compressed air or an aerosol dust spray can help too. Another trick is to turn the rollers backwards slowly for about a half rotation and then engage them in the crushing direction and see if they grab the malt.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Happened to me today... A little squirt of olive oil Pam inside the rollers, wipe off excess and it was good to go. Guess I need to take it apart and clean it though.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I always shoot my mill with compressed air after. Cleans the rollers and I am good to go for the next batch. Montanaandy

Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
pomofo
Recipes 

I finally got to a workable solution, although I don't have compressed air, so I ran some water down into it to flush out stuck flour. The slave roller even beforehand was spinning with hand pressure, but not with malt. And it also had a fair bit of lateral play. But I reset the rollers to the factory setting and managed to crush alright, then tried to tighten slightly and send the crush back through a second time and got the same problem. So, I think I'll definitely have to clean things up a bit. If I use oil to clean things out, it should evaporate within a couple weeks so that it won't contaminate the malt, right?

Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I would pull it apart, clean it completely, and put lubricant on the bearings. I would also check to make sure it is mounted square. If my Monster mill is a little off it can put torque on the axles in a way where one spins fine and another has alot of resistence. Maybe not the problem in this case, but it could be a contributing factor along with the flour build up.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Flyin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used my Barley Crusher for the first time today. Noticed something like this going on, I just tapped the side of the hopper a bit & it worked fine. Don't know if its the same problem but same symptoms.

Quick Reply