The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Barley Crusher Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
KellyK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Barley Crusher Help!

We ordered the 15 lbs barley crusher and when we turn the crank nothing happens. The grain won't go through the crusher. We haven't changed the pre-set settings. Has anyone had this happen. We're turning the crank clockwise. If we turn counterclockwise the grains go through the mill but don't crush at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
profarm
Recipes 

I have the same crusher, used it only twice. Work it back and forth, or kind of give it a good shake...the same thing happend to me in the middle of a crush, I just gave it a good shake on the top of the bucket.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
BullF-16
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
We ordered the 15 lbs barley crusher and when we turn the crank nothing happens. The grain won't go through the crusher. We haven't changed the pre-set settings. Has anyone had this happen. We're turning the crank clockwise. If we turn counterclockwise the grains go through the mill but don't crush at all.
you really need to tighten the screw that hold the crank handle on the crusher. i had the same problem. Just connect a drill to the barley crusher. much easier anyway

Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Happens to me all the time. I find it is helpful to start with about a pound in the hopper, and then add the rest of the grains after it starts to crank through. Shaking may also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Also, it is easy to miss but there is a flat spot on the end of the drive shaft. The handle needs to be positioned such that the screw comes down on that flat spot while it is being tightened. I missed that fine detail that first time I put the handle on.

If you had also missed it that will make all the difference in the world.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 11-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
alz28
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
Also, it is easy to miss but there is a flat spot on the end of the drive shaft. The handle needs to be positioned such that the screw comes down on that flat spot while it is being tightened. I missed that fine detail that first time I put the handle on.

If you had also missed it that will make all the difference in the world.
What he said as well as check and make sure the screws are tight. Look at the write up page that came with the mill and if I remember right you need to loosen or tighten about four to six screws to adjust the mill. One of the screws may be loose and you can't notice it until the grain is passing throught the mill. Of course you can't see the grinders with grain in the mill. Contact them by e-mail, they have great coustomer service. I had a dent in mine and they were fast to respond and take care of business. And the rubber O-ring that makes the other grinder turn won't last long at all, but the mill still works like it did with the O-ring. Hope this helps you out man.

"I don't have a drinking problem....I drink...I get drunk....no problem". Carl Sloan "Sloany" Bradford PA. R.I.P. brother.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

its funny If the handle is spinning and the guy did'nt know that's hilarious

Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Kinda reminds me of the guy that rents a chainsaw, when he returns it to the rental center, the guy behind the counter asks "How did the saw work for you?". The renter says "it was terrible, very heavy and cut really slow". the guy behind the counter checks out the saw and starts it up. The customer then says. "What's that noise?"

badumpbump

Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, if it's spinning backwards okay, then it should spin forwards okay...at least, you'd think.

My BC gets stuck once in awhile like this (a problem which is exacerbated if, like me, you accidentally try to send flaked barley through there). What's happening (at least in my case) is that some grain(s) are getting stuck between the dummy roller and the hopper fin. I find that all you need to do is hand-turn the slave roller backwards a little bit, manually from the underside.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Well, if it's spinning backwards okay, then it should spin forwards okay...at least, you'd think.

My BC gets stuck once in awhile like this (a problem which is exacerbated if, like me, you accidentally try to send flaked barley through there). What's happening (at least in my case) is that some grain(s) are getting stuck between the dummy roller and the hopper fin. I find that all you need to do is hand-turn the slave roller backwards a little bit, manually from the underside.
This has happened to me as well when I was milling flaked oats with the rest of my grist. It stuck the slave roller up pretty well and I had to spin it quite a few times to get all the junk to pass through. I don't think I will be milling oats anymore, although the flaked corn I milled yesterday gave me no issues. Anyway, make sure your slave roller is spinning free, if that gets jammed it won't pull grain in, it will just kind of bounce around on top of the drive roller.

Quick Reply