Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Barley Crusher" Grain Mill, Anyone own one of these?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #21
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
Evan, I've never heard of a XRP-type cordless and I typically pride myself on keeping up on such things! That might be worth investigating.
"XRP" is the proprietary name that DeWalt gives that product line. In general, DeWalt stuff is pretty good...not the greatest, but good for the money. I've never had a DeWalt product actually fail on me, except through my own fault. I had two regular (non-XRP) 12v cordless drills. When I got my Barley Crusher, I tried using one of them to crush grain. It was going well, until I stupidly shifted speeds on the thing while it was going. It burned up the gears instantaneously. Luckily, Lowe's takes anything back, so I took it back...but instead of just getting another regular 12v, I thought I'd upgrade to an 18v. I asked the guy in the tool dept. what he thought, and he said that the 14.4v XRP model was a much better drill than the regular 18v model. It's contractor-grade, heavier, all-metal locking chuck, 3-speed, and the batteries have alot more power and charge life than the normal ones. I've been thrilled with it so far.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #22
photogscott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

why is everybody's efficiency skyrocketing when they crush their own? Don't any LHBS's know how to crush grain?

Old 06-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #23
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogscott
why is everybody's efficiency skyrocketing when they crush their own? Don't any LHBS's know how to crush grain?
Thats it! They crush just enough to do the job, they don't want to crush to fine for fear of causing stuck sparges.

Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #24
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Thats it! They crush just enough to do the job, they don't want to crush to fine for fear of causing stuck sparges.
That and how often does the LHBS check and adjust the gap on their mill? How many times does that thing run?

I love my BarleyCrusher, does a great job.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #25
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Don't forget that they often batch-crush, so those tiny ground up starches fall to the bottom of the bag and the husks sit on top. I'm sure they shake it up, but it just seems like a lot could fall out.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #26
SAS98M
Recipes 

I wonder if the guy behind the counter at the LHBS would be offended if one were to ask to have the gap checked or to have the crush checked just as the grind is started and to have the mill adjusted as needed at that time ?
I know that the efficiency of the wheat batch I brewed this weekend went way up I think to the most ever.....I used the rolling pin on the kitchen counter and gave almost the entire grain bill a further crush,my little helper would spread grain a cup at a time out for me and I'd roll it then I'd scrape the grist off into the waiting mash tun on a chair next to the counter-worked for me. Shane

Wine Primaries--
Cider Pimaries--
Beer Primaries--What ??-None !! again ??
Wine secondaries-2010 Clover honey mead,2011 Dandelion wine
Kegged--
Bottled--10'tomato wine,10' Plum,09' Plum
Bottled/Conditioning--Munich Lager brewed winter 06'
On deck(grains in house)--Yooper's "Fat Sam",Bourbon barrel ale
Gone--07 ciders,07dandelion,07plum

BIG DADDY BREWING CO.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 AM   #27
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Geez Ed, everytime I look at this pic I see a toilet as a base. I know it isn't but I can't get the thought out of my mind. Please tell me it isn't ,lol.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 06-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #28
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Geez Ed, everytime I look at this pic I see a toilet as a base. I know it isn't but I can't get the thought out of my mind. Please tell me it isn't ,lol.
Nope, it's not a toilet. It's a 8 gallon bucket wine fermenter. It works out great especially since I have a lid for it. Just mill the grain, put the lid on, & I'm good to go till dough in time.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #29
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

At least you eased my mind , lol. I have much the same setup for my Porkert mill, but I transfer to a sealable bucket until mash time. Usually the next day.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 06-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #30
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just got a 7# hopper model Barley Crusher by UPS yesterday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, probably this weekend will be the first chance.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Quick Reply