Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bandaid/medicinal flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use a charcoal filter to get rid of the chlorine and seems to work out great. I just use an RV filter attached to my outside spigot. Make sure you DONT use a garden hose but rather a drinking water hose used for RV's. No leeching...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #12
mayflychucker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had the same problem for awhile. I got a water report from the city and also sent away for a thorough analysis. I decided the culprit must be chloramine (does not boil off like chlorine). I've been treating every 5g w/ 1 campden tab, then let it sit overnight and have not had issues for many batches.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflychucker View Post
I've been treating every 5g w/ 1 campden tab, then let it sit overnight and have not had issues for many batches.
Whoa! I also had this problem and started using campden. My bottle says 1 tablet treats 20 gallons, so I use half a tab for each batch. Since I'm doing all grain, I end up using around 8.5 gallons total.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #14
kroach01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trokair

My first beer was a Trappist dubble and it was kind of the same with wlp500. Bandaidy/alchohol/bleh. It was in primary for 60 days so I don't think there was a problem with that and no infection to been seen. As they aged in the bottle I found that they were getting better from the top down. 3 weeks in the bottle and the top 4 swigs tasted really good, beyond that the rest of the bottle was terrible. It took 2 1/2 months but they eventually aged all the way down to be very decent beers. Giver some time and hopefully it will turn.
Thanks man, will do!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
mayflychucker
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrook View Post
Whoa! I also had this problem and started using campden. My bottle says 1 tablet treats 20 gallons, so I use half a tab for each batch. Since I'm doing all grain, I end up using around 8.5 gallons total.
Yeah, I started with 1/4 crushed tab per 5g, but still had off-flavors, so went to 1/2 tab. It still wasn't totally gone. I did some research and found that JP has seen no ill-effects from using up to 1 tab:5g, so that's what I do. It's a cheap and easy fix.

Quick Reply