Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > band aid beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
Ender
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I too have made a band aid beer. Never used any bleach in anything. Just Idaphore. It got infected some how and never got better. Left that crap in the keg for at least 3 months and it got worse in my opinion. It's to bad too, i had tried my hand a making a Phin and Matts extrodinary ale and used a crap load o styrians in there. Wish I had those back!

Ender

I'm Smelling a lot of IF coming offa this plan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
tranceamerica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntled
That would be a food safe motorcycle radiator would it?
I would think a wort chiller would be much cheaper
yeah, I'll run down to the combination motorcycle repair shop and resturant supply house =) he he he .

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #13
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions
A week in the bottle is way to early to determine final taste. Your saying 3 weeks from boil till drinking?? That's what hell of a green beer.
well, now I'm out of the country for 2 weeks, so I'll have another go at it when I get back. It'll be about a month old when I get back I suppose...worth another sip anyway

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
naplesbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I too have a "band aid" ale on tap, my 3rd one as a fairly new brewer. Trying to pin it down seems everyone talks about Phenol factor and the water being used. I only use bottle spring water, clean with starsan but have just read that i should rinse AFTER cleaning. I thought that starsan was a no rinse and the last thing that should touch the vessel.

Anyway sharing my 2 cents as i search for an answer of my own. Have a cool Switchback Ale in my keg cant bring myself to dump a 3rd on (in past few months). I would like to know..is is BAD for you. I can probably drink through it in the interest of "committing to the brew" but don't want to poison myself.

The brew is perfect in every other way, color, head , clarity. Just that dreaded "band aid" smell and taste that has caused me to dump 3 times now. It KILLS me i hate it.

New to the forum on a quest for saving a good brew.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Don't forget chloramines from city tap water as another source of band-aid.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #16
fnord
don't see me
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by naplesbrew View Post
. . . clean with starsan but have just read that i should rinse AFTER cleaning. I thought that starsan was a no rinse and the last thing that should touch the vessel.
Starsan is a sanitizer, not a cleaner, clean with hot water and PBW or Oxyclean and rinse thoroughly. Sanitize with starsan and do NOT rinse.

I'm not sure how this would contribute to the chlorophenol/bandaid flavor though.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
hopdoc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This "band aid" flavor is a also a by-product of fermentation. Belgian yeasts and such will produce.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
Worticia
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Naplesbrew, I see you have revived an old thread.

I had several early batches with off-flavors. My thoughts about your post:

- If you have already tasted it, and didn't die, then you will probably live.
- It sounds like you have probably eliminated water as the culprit - as long as the bottled water you used was NOT distilled (yeast need minerals to thrive).
- Try using a good dry yeast like Safale US-05 (you might use 2 pkg until you have nailed down your problem).
- Make sure your fermentation temperature is as stable as possible, and optimal for your yeast. For the Safale, you might try for 68 - 72 degrees. You can put your carboy or bucket in a water bath & add ice packs as needed to maintain a stable temperature.
- Use a known good recipe.

For me, the solution was changing the yeast. I would be interested in knowing what your find out once you get a good brew.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
naplesbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the information. I have used distilled bottled water in the past but now use only bottled spring water. Temps i have controlled in a keezer that i made pretty solid at 68 degrees or whatever i set it at.

This problem occurred with several different types of yeast (all ales) so figure i could rule that out but could be wrong. First was a Magic Hat Clone, the next was an Orange something right after the Magic Hat. At that time i was experimenting with cleaning with diluted bleach and after reading several articles on the band-aid flavor topic, thought i had pinned it down to left over bleach residue in my vessels.

That said I dumped cleaning with anything and just use hot water followed by starsan. I have PBX cleaner also but now paranoid about using any cleaner thinking this is my culprit.

I have read mixed input regarding starsan...some people say that starsan should be the last thing that touches the vessel. Other say, as a fix to the band-aid thing to rinse AFTER starsan with boiled water. Any thoughts there?

My local supplier suggested that this could be a Chlorimine issue. Although i use bottled water only, when i clean i use my house tap water through a hose (no more hose after he told me that). Anyway 2 thoughts here. One he said to add a tiny pinch of potassium metabisulfate to my brewing water to react out any Chloromine.

Also to add a pinch to my starsan water to rule out any that is introduced by my cleaning water. I dont know much about potassium metabisulfate except what he told me you think it is safe to add to my brew water or do i need to since i use only bottled?

I am pretty thorough about my cleaning and environment but i could be missing something maybe the hose water since it is the last thing that touches my vessel. All i know is i am tired of dumping my good beer that i worked so hard to make so on a mission to figure this out.

Currently i am hanging on to my Switchback which is kegged already in hopes that after a week or so it will settle down. I will let you know.

Oh you mentioned adding double dry yeast. Would that help with a Chloromine contamination you think?
Any and all comments welcome.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Do not rinse Starsan. That is not the culprit and that defeats the purpose of starsan. If you are concerned with chloramines, drop 1/4 of a campden tablet (which is potassium metabisulfate) into your 5 gallon batch at the start. Skip the bleach.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply