HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bananarama - Galaxy Single Hop Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
PoconoParadiso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bananarama - Galaxy Single Hop Hefeweizen

A friend of mine asked me to brew a banana beer for the summer. She requested that it be fruity and I know she likes wheat beers. However, I have several fruited beers in progress including an ambrosia saison (pineapple, coconut, cherries and Amarillo), a peach cream ale, and a watermelon Berliner, so I don't actually want to add fruit to this one. Hence I want to get the fruit cocktail profile from the yeast and hops. I see GI did a "Cosmic Banana" which was a hefeweizen hopped with galaxy. The few tasting notes I've seen of this beer sound exactly like what I'm looking for. Any experienced hefeweizen brewers out there have recipe suggestions for such a brew?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
Xier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I am not an experienced hefeweizen brewer, but certain yeast strains produce banana esters:
https://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeas...ail.cfm?ID=135

Yeast produce more esters when they are stressed. If you brew warm and under-pitch, you might get what you are wanting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply