Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > bad start! ....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
bigdaddyjay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bad start! ....

Sorry about this guys, I'm posting this because of the lack of responses I have had for my last thread. I am new to homebrewing. I haven't even when out to complete my homebrewing setup. I still need to purchase a few things still.

I'm planning on jumping to the real deal and making my first batch of home brew with the All grain method. I like the idea that I have more control over what I am brewing. Extract brewing is smart and easy, but just not for me.

I'm looking for all the advice I can get from ya'll, I have noticed that the homebrewing crowd is way more polite and cordial than most groups.

If I can get advice from "Grain to Glass" it would be most loved. Thank you

I am also searching this forum for any advice I can read.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of the biggest virtues of homebrewing is patience.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
bigdaddyjay
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew View Post
One of the biggest virtues of homebrewing is patience.
Thank you. I'm lacking patience. But if I don't have a good project...I don't know what I'll do.

I am most likely buying the rest of the equipment need tomarrow...thats why the persistence. But thanks....I'll need that advice. Perhaps this hobby with help me grow up! haha

Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You need to have a good general conception on how the all grain process works.You should consider purchasing "How to Brew" book by John Palmer and this will give you a solid foundation on how the process works.

What type of sparging method are you going to do? What type of equipment do you have?

Gary

Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
bigdaddyjay
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
You need to have a good general conception on how the all grain process works.You should consider purchasing "How to Brew" book by John Palmer and this will give you a solid foundation on how the process works.

What type of sparging method are you going to do? What type of equipment do you have?
whoa....I started reading this online...this book is confusing yet informative, now I don't know what sparging method I want to do...what do you do? haha...He even goes into depth about temperatures and how well certain grains will convert start to sugars...

Old 05-31-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
vfinch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My advice is read, read, read and then read some more. I spent about a month of solid reading and researching before I made the jump into all grain (as opposed to starting with extract). I found that by doing all that research I saved myself a lot of potential mistakes and hassles. I finished my fifth AG batch last Sunday and they've all thankfully gone great and I've learned even more.

90% of the work on your first AG brew will be planning, cleaning and sanitizing. The actual brewing work is the easiest.

Next Up: Something...

Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjay View Post
Sorry about this guys, I'm posting this because of the lack of responses I have had for my last thread.
You'll generally get more responses when you give them more descriptive titles. Nondescript titles get less traffic.

If you're going to try going all-grain from the get-go, make sure you read up on the process, and understand the investment you'll be making in equipment. You want to buy equipment that you'll be happy with going forward.

Definitely read "How to Brew", plus search the posts here, since most questions have been asked and answered many times. The wiki section is also a good resource. There are also some nice all-grain brew sessions that have been posted on YouTube (HBT'ers like Bobby_M, among others, have posted some).

In regards to your question of sparging, many of us use batch sparging which is easier for beginners and it gives good results.

AG isn't too complicated and can be done without learning the ropes with extract brewing, but you'll be better off doing your homework before you dive into it.

Good luck with your brewing.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 05-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjay View Post
whoa....I started reading this online...this book is confusing yet informative, now I don't know what sparging method I want to do...what do you do? haha...He even goes into depth about temperatures and how well certain grains will convert start to sugars...
Well that is all part of the all grain process. That is why you will need to have at least a basic understanding of how beer is made with grains before jumping in. It is like homework only better because there is a payoff.

What type of beer do you like? Why not get a good extract brew and make that while you learn a bit. That is the way a lot of us started plus you learn about boiling, cooling, fermenting and temperature control needed to make a great beer.

Gary

Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

I was in the same boat when I started makin brew. I thought I wanted to go all grain right off the bat. You probably could to, but I would reccommed as a new brewer to get a "Kit" beer from you LHBS if you have one where you live, otherwise I would purchase one online that is a supporter of this site. AHBS comes to mind. Do not get one of the pre hopped cans. They are to easy and you could do it in you sleep. Get one that has steeping grains in it, dome dry malt to play with as well as smoe liquid malt. Then you can play with the hops aas well. I think this route will get you more into the learning curve that all grain is going to be. Read john Palmers book. I have read it probably eight times, and I still learn something. AADD you know... You Tube is you friend. There are a few good movies on there that really go in depth on the all grain. Bobby M has some good videos as well. Then ask lost of questions, even though they have been asked before its still OK to ask again. At least thats what I have been doing. Here are a couple of videos on You Tube that I have bookmarked. I dont know if he is a member here or not, but I think he does a great job oe explaining things.

This is part one.

This is part two

T.M.H.

My slow single tier build

Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I can imagine that Palmer's book could be confusing if you have never brewed, but it makes a lot more sense after you have brewed a batch or two, so stop whining, and start brewing.

-a.

Quick Reply