*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > bad JuJu

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
InYerMouth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bad JuJu

So I got my first all grain under my belt last night....trying to produce a hoppy IPA....one problem I didnt consider is that I used leaf hops for the first time and in classic rookie style I didnt put them in a bag. My auto siphon kept getting clogged....end result I pored into my fermemnter through a strainer....so know I have a thick groggy wort....Im a lil worried about the sanitation issue since I am now a germ o phob after getting a batch ruined...but on top of that...Im hoping the end product will still settle out clear..Im gonna use a secondary and let it sit a lil longer than I normally would...just wondering if anyone has any tips that may set my mind at ease on this one to help ensure it turns out ok....any pointers appreciated!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
phidelt844
Recipes 

I don't use a hop bag in the boil and just pour the entire cold break in to my fermenter. RDWHAHB

Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never used a hop bag. I drain my kettle into a 6 gallon bucket with a paint strainer in it then funnel that into a carboy. I get maximum hop utilization and aeration all in one shot.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
InYerMouth
Recipes 

so I guess the pouring wont be a huge issue...never thought of the aeration issue....could turn out well.....I prob should of tried funneling it out into a different fermenter I guess to clear it up...but hopefully the secondary will produce the same results.... my OG was 1073....so as long as it all goes well should turn out to be pungent deliciousness!!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Buy a stainless steel pot scrubber, the ones that (obviously) don't have any soap on them and are relatively coarse. The perfect ones are almost a ribbon-like mesh instead of wire, and are formed in a little donut-like shape. Take that scrubby and put the tip of your auto-siphon throught the hole in the middle. It works perfectly, not a hop leaf one in my fermenters and no clogging at all.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Oh, and BTW, reading your thread title and username as one sentence is funny.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
InYerMouth
Recipes 

Awsome idea....I like that....and yeah...the Inyermouth name is a great addition....lol.... especially for my Irish Red coming soon to be delicately named the "Big Red Rooster" (Inyermouth Brewing co....) lol...

:rofl

Quick Reply