Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > bad to boil grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
davidgaeta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bad to boil grain?

I was brewing a brown nut ale and didn't realize how hot the wort was until I put the bags of specialy malts in, and it started to boil. It said to leave the malts in for 20 minutes, but I only left it in for 15 minutes. Is there any way I can salvage this batch or should I throw it out? I don't know much about mashing, but is that a possibility? How do you think it would taste?

dg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dont throw it out. Boiling grains is bad....extracts tannins that you don't want in your beer. But with speciality grains, its such a small part of the entire batch that I don't think it would make that much of a difference...definitely not enough to ruin a batch. Just pay a little more attention next and relax...dont worry...have a homebrew.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Boiling grains is not a good thing but don't throw it out until you taste and see if it is borked.You will know if it has tannins because it will taste astringent.

Gary

Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Definitely don't throw it out yet. In theory, boiling grains is likely to extract excess tannins, but when I started brewing, I made a few batches where the recipe called for bringing the steeping grains to a boil before removing them. I wouldn't want to do this now, but the batches tasted just fine.

-a.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Taste it. If the tannins aren't a problem, it's beer! Boil some black tea for 5 minutes, if you don't know what astringent tastes like.

Boiling grains is generally a bad idea, but decoctions are all about boiling the grains. So, it has its place.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply