Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Back into Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Riclat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Back into Brewing

First-time poster here. I'm selling my reef aquarium and getting back into brewing after about 8 years. As I sell off my aquarium system, I'll have $ to spend on upgrades to my brewing system and would like some advice on initial purchases.

Here's my driveway setup:
Homemade tower system with three burners
12 gal. Sabco sparge tank with thermometer and sight glass
15.5 Sanke mash tun with thermometer and bazooka t screen
15.5 Sanke boil kettle with bazooka t screen
Counterflow chiller (type with copper tubing inside clear plastic hose
Single-roller Philmill
Draft system

One idea was to by a keggle or Sabco 15.5 mash tun or kettle with false bottom and convert one of my current 15.5s to a sparge tank. I'll probably need to get a pump to move wort through the chiller and into fermenter. I'll eventually want to get a SS conical fermenter.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Richard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Welcome, Richard. Your system is already fancier than mine!

Do you already have some way of controlling your fermentation temperatures? That has a huge impact on your brewing. There are lots of ways of doing it, inexpensively and quite expensively.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 518 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 2795

Welcome home! :-)

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome back - who needs fish, anyway !

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 06-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Riclat
Recipes 

Thanks for the welcome. What are the devices to control fermentation temp? I've got a controller for my garage frig, but used that with the draft system, not with fermenting.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riclat View Post
Thanks for the welcome. What are the devices to control fermentation temp? I've got a controller for my garage frig, but used that with the draft system, not with fermenting.
You can rig up a fridge. You can build a fermentation chamber. You can build something like "son of fermentation chiller". You can rig up a "swamp cooler". You can use a cooler or tub with water and ice packs. Or time your brewing to when the temps in your area are appropriate.

In any case, fermentation temperature has a huge huge impact on your beers.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default Back Into Brewing

[QUOTE=Riclat;2999479]First-time poster here. I'm selling my reef aquarium and getting back into brewing after about 8 years.

Sounds familiar. I was involved in homebrewing/mircobrewing then stepped back from it for a number of years then came back. If you homebrewed before you know that you do not need all of the fancy equipment that you listed in order to produce award winning beer. If you have the $$$ and really want to go first class then more power to you. However, in the end it will be your grain bill, yeast, and hop bill (i.e recipe) that will determine the quality of your beer and not your equipment.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Riclat
Recipes 

I agree. And with that in mind, I'm thinking I'll make a son of fermentation chiller or a two-carboy version instead of going the conical route. One of the enjoyable things about homebrewing I remember is making a lot of the equipment I used.

Quick Reply