Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Awesome sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
HopOnHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Awesome sparging

I've been using a 10 gallon cooler and a ss false bottom as a MT for a while now. I just tried wrapping my false bottom in cheesecloth for the hell of it. Prior to that it would only take a few vorlaufs to get it grain free but this time around there was absolutely no grain coming through, I just vorlaufed a few times and sparged easy peasy. The only comment I would have is that the flow was slower than normal but I usually try to spare as slow as possible so I was happy.

Im wondering if there is any huge reason why I shouldn't do this and why it isn't a more common practice. Thoughts? If anything I just wouldn't do this in a direct fire mash tun but that's about it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOnHops
I've been using a 10 gallon cooler and a ss false bottom as a MT for a while now. I just tried wrapping my false bottom in cheesecloth for the hell of it. Prior to that it would only take a few vorlaufs to get it grain free but this time around there was absolutely no grain coming through, I just vorlaufed a few times and sparged easy peasy. The only comment I would have is that the flow was slower than normal but I usually try to spare as slow as possible so I was happy.

Im wondering if there is any huge reason why I shouldn't do this and why it isn't a more common practice. Thoughts? If anything I just wouldn't do this in a direct fire mash tun but that's about it
Other than something else to add to the process, if it works..do it! You will have to account for a little absorption but probably not much. As long as you don't get a stuck sparge, you created a better filter

Btw, if not Jaybird, I have seen some sort of sock or filter screen that is made to go over a false bottom from somewhere

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 66

As long as it doesn't clog. I really like the bazooka screen. Just run a pump on recirculate for a couple minutes and all the gunk seems to collect on top of the grain instead of the bottom.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
HopOnHops
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Gotta wait for my refund from the tax man and I can get a pump

Quick Reply