The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Autumn Maple Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
ddrrseio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how well did sweet potato flavor come through?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
nebbles
Recipes 

I used the second batch Black Alley did for my version. I didn't want to create a direct clone, I just wanted to make a fall type beer that had yams in it.

So far the Yams aren't super present but there is a hint.

My changes:

--Didn't use Belgian yeast since some of the posters said it clashed with the other ingredients (used a super clean neutral yeast US-05, since I wanted the ingredients to be the star)
--Upped the spices a little from Black Alleys (1/4 tsp of nutmeg/cinnamon/allspice mixture, then an additional 1/4 tsp of just nutmeg) (this was for a 2 gal batch)

Taste before the secondary with maple: Spice level noticeable, but not overpowering, good balance of malt, spices, and a bit of sweetness, and a bit of yam flavor.

Since I didn't use the super attenutative strain they did (they used Bruery's house yeast harvested from bottle, which ended at 1.002) I ended up with about 1.016 (from 1.090) so it wasn't super dry.

I did two weeks with secondary with maple syrup (Grade B).

Taste after that:

A bit dryer, with the spices fading somewhat. Has sort of of a light "woody" taste which from what I've read comes from fermenting out maple syrup. Still an excellent beer.

They are conditioning now so I can give an update when its chilled/carbed.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Might have to try this again with a clean yeast. The base beer was good but the belgium yeast did clash a bit too much for me

Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Black Alley Brewer is a buddy of mine, and I sat in on the clone tasting side-by-side with the original beer. I would unequivocally say that the recipe is cloned.

Quick Reply