Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Austin Homebrew Coffee Malt Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Austin Homebrew Coffee Malt Stout

Greets, gang. I'm brewing my first stout, from a partial mash Austin Homebrew kit.

The brew day went really well. OG was 1.060 and I pitched right at 68F. I had good fermentation after 24 hours, but it stopped after 12 more hours. I waited a week at 66-68F to take a hydro sample and it's gone to 1.022.

The yeast in the kit was Munton's Premium Gold dry. The last AHS kit I did (ESB) used the same yeast and I had a similar problem.

So is this normal for a stout and I just need to wait?

Thanks!

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewhaus Calculator gives me 4.8% when I enter those numbers. AHS site says "Approximately 5% ABV". Sounds like the yeast did their job, though your SG was 1.060 and AHS said it should be around 1.050.

I was just looking at this kit to do my first AG with. If you can tell by my sig ... I love stouts.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
AHS said it should be around 1.050.
The instructions with the kit said OG of 1.059 and FG of 1.013. I figured 1.060 was close enough.

I love stouts too and am really looking forward to this one. The grains smelled soooo good during the mash.

-Joe

Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rack it to the secondary, leave it sit a few more weeks, I bet those yeast are quite done yet. Racking usually wakes up my yeast pretty well, YMMV.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
Rack it to the secondary, leave it sit a few more weeks, I bet those yeast are quite done yet. Racking usually wakes up my yeast pretty well, YMMV.
Well, I raised the temp in my ferment freezer from 65 to 68 and will give it a good swirl tonight. If it's still 1.022 by next Sunday I'm going to pitch some Safale US-05.

I switched to dry yeast based on a lot of good stories about it here and have been disappointed in this Munton's so far. As far as I can tell, my brewing procedures are correct but I'm not getting the results I'd expect. I guess I have to switch to some better yeast

The third kit I got from Austin at the same time came with Coopers Ale yeast (subbed for Notty), about which I've read a lot of unpleasant things. So I won't be using that, either.

-Cranky Joe

Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I'm using dry yeast, I use US-05 and never have had a problem with it. S-04 also works well if you are looking for an English style. Of course that doesn't help you in your current situation.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
nostalgia
Recipes 

Default Halp!

I just checked the ESB referenced above, which used the same yeast. Pitched 8/17 with an OG of 1.055. A week later 1.019. Left it two more weeks in the primary and racked to secondary. Today (9/15) it's still at 1.019.

I was ready to keg it today. The sample is still a bit sweet, but nice. So now I don't know if I should re-pitch or just say screw it and keg.

So I appeal to the experience of the board. If you were in my shoes, what would you do with these two brews? I've got two packets of Safale US-05 in stock.

-Joe

Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

No input? I guess I'll just keg the ESB and re-pitch the Stout.

-Joe

Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
No input? I guess I'll just keg the ESB and re-pitch the Stout.

-Joe
That's what I would do, I think. The stout might only go down a few more points, but I think 1.022 is just too high.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry Nostalgia,

I think it's kinda your call. You seem to have the worst luck with beers not finishing. If you are ok with the ESB, I'd keg it. I don't like the 1.022 for the stout, I think that is too high. I wouldn't see any problems in re-pitching.

Quick Reply