New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Austin All Grain option

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
Beer Snob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Austin All Grain option

You know I notice the in the Austin Homebrew website they tell you what is in the kits.... except the All Grain.... how many pounds of grain can you expect in the AG kits? Has anyone had problems with them?

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I've only done their mini-mashs, which are great! I doubt the AG kits would be bad. How much grain depends on style, as usual. Their Rogue Mocha Porter MM comes with 5 pounds of amber LME and four pounds of grain. I'd expect about 10 lbs of grain in the AG.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I was going to say that they don't tell you how much grain comes in the all grain kits because they don't want to give away the recipes, but now that I think about it, that kind of sucks. In order to know how much grain you need, you need to be able to tell them your brewhouse efficiency, which they don't let you do. I like them and order all of my crap from them, but I have never bought one of their all grain kits - I always just use my own recipes.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
texasgeorge

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Give them a call! I was at their store a couple weeks ago and the staff were very VERY helpful. I bought a mini-mash version of their IPA II and they gave me an ingredients list and procedures for a first-time mini masher.

I have called them one other time on an unrelated question, and they are very open and honest. I'm sure they'll tell you exactly what you're getting.

Bottled & Conditioning: Michael Richards' NOT Racist Ale
Best of 2006: All Saints' IPA, Six-Malt Amber Ale, McClelland's Irish Red Ale
On Deck: English Honey Bitter, Chocolate Stout, House Pale Ale

Old 04-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the recipes come in detail with the kit. Unfortanately they assume a standard efficiency, but if you know your's is bad, then order a couple extra lb.s of 2-row with it.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 04-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Musthavbeer
Recipes 

I just finished my second all grain, a Belgian Wit from AHS, there was just under 10 LBS of grain, and they included the corriander and orange peel,(typical for this beer)
The instuctions were pretty good with only two mistakes in them. Glad for these forums, reading up alot, and for having one all grain under my belt! Stuff smelled great, OG @ 1054.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You know one thing I had asked this question is that in looking at the site for another thread I found the all grain option and what do you know they have the Sam Adams Summer Ale I tried... with 5 lbs of wheat. Obviously I need to try something easier then 5 lbs of wheat again. Yeah I think I'll give em an email and explain why I'm asking hahahahaa..... give them a laugh for the night at least

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply