Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attn Experienced Pumpkin Ale Brewers - Stuck Sparge Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #21
ToastedPenguin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a 10G imperial pumpkin ale about 3 weeks ago, added 8lbs of pumpkin to the mash which I heated to the mash temp in the oven prior to adding to the mash:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/my-2...in-ale-258699/

Didn't have any issues with a stuck sparge, but I did sparge very very slowly. The manifold design can make a difference with a grist that will be very starchy and I use a cpvc manifold with a ton of small holes in it.

Bottled: Nada
Kegged & OnTap: Bad Santa Stout, Jeep Trail Brown Ale, Red Skies at Night American Red, Panty Dropper Hard Cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I'd go with the 2". You can always stir the wort with a sanitized spoon if your worried about hot/cold spots. You will be hitting the 6+" with everything...ask Ron Jeremy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
ASantiago
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUncle View Post
I must say letting the pumpkin heat up and simmer in the strike water sounds like a pretty darn good strategy to me. Mix it up in there and then after letting it settle to the bottom, autosiphon that water into the MLT. Not bad.
This is certainly a possibility. I wonder about conversion, though. I gather pumpkin doesn't contribute that much in terms of sugars, but nonetheless. So if the pulp isn't in the mash (the way I do it), then you get less from it?

But it seems this method would avoid the higher risk of a stuck sparge.
Fermenting: Janet's Brown Ale-ish
Conditioning: Simcoe-Centennial IPA in Oak Barrel
Enjoying: Witbier, Simcoe-Centennial IPA

Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
ASantiago
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adurotec View Post
The manifold design can make a difference with a grist that will be very starchy and I use a cpvc manifold with a ton of small holes in it.
I've also wondered about this. I assume you are using a rectangular cooler rather than a circular one? I'm wondering if each (rectangular vs. circular) has it's own applicability. For example, maybe a rectangular is better for mashes that are really thick and pasty, like those that contain pumpkin.

I have a circular cooler.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #24
ToastedPenguin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do use a rectangular MLT so you have a good point. Maybe the consistency of the mash (being starchy in this case) plus the weight of the mash in a cylindrical vessel creates more downward pressure that in turn compacts the grist more so than what occurs in a rectangular equivalent.

Bottled: Nada
Kegged & OnTap: Bad Santa Stout, Jeep Trail Brown Ale, Red Skies at Night American Red, Panty Dropper Hard Cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I'd go with the 2". You can always stir the wort with a sanitized spoon if your worried about hot/cold spots. You will be hitting the 6+" with everything...ask Ron Jeremy!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASantiago
I wonder about conversion, though. I gather pumpkin doesn't contribute that much in terms of sugars, but nonetheless.
I recently did a 5 gallon pumpkin ale. I used 4 lbs of roasted pumpkin in my mash.

My estimated OG was 1.051 as per beersmith. My actual OG was 1.061. I believe the extra 10 points are from the pumpkin as I consistently hit 75% efficiency.

"If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail"

Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #26
ASantiago
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpavlik22 View Post
I recently did a 5 gallon pumpkin ale. I used 4 lbs of roasted pumpkin in my mash.

My estimated OG was 1.051 as per beersmith. My actual OG was 1.061. I believe the extra 10 points are from the pumpkin as I consistently hit 75% efficiency.
I couldn't find any info about the gravity contribution of pumpkin when mashed. I wanted to add pumpkin to Brewsmith and needed the info for the profile.

I did read somewhere that it doesn't do much, but that could be wrong. Unfortunately, although I take obsessive notes during my brewing, the sparging disaster threw the entire process out the window and I don't have numbers to compare.

Does anyone have any info on the sugar, and other, contributions of pumpkin -when mashed-?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #27
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASantiago
Does anyone have any info on the sugar, and other, contributions of pumpkin -when mashed-?

I read somewhere (dunno where now--I've been reading so many pumpkin beer threads lately) that pumpkin contributes 8 - 10 points per pound per gallon, which is just below what Mpavlik seems to have experienced.

I'm planning on getting 8 ppg from the pumpkin I'll be mashing for my 2.5 gallon batch. I'm using 1.75 pounds, so it will be a minor contribution in any case.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #28
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a similar disaster with Sweet Potato. I used a ton of rice hulls, and struggled to get much wort from the tun , I ended up dumping the mash into a bucket and pouring the lighter stuff back into the tun after is partly settled. Never again will I use a starch in the mash like that, or in the quantity that I did. threadkiller's suggestion of making a pumpkin broth sounds much more appealing. If you do a search for sweet potato syrup, I think this would be the way to go with pumpkin as well.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #29
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Gonna use my own pumpkins for this soon... Do I cut them open and gut them and then PEEL them? I was gonna cut them up into little chunks and then roast... then I like the idea of the strike water thing..., then maybe use SOME of them to mash in with...

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #30
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

split them in half, gut them, place them flat side down on a cookie sheet, bake them till they are soft/mushy, and scoop the mush out of the skins.

Quick Reply