The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attn Experienced Pumpkin Ale Brewers - Stuck Sparge Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASantiago View Post
I thought about this as an alternative. But then thought that would be just moving the problem to post-boil, when it might be made worse by all the other stuff then in the liquid, such as hot and cold break and hops, and at a time the wort is most vulnerable.

Granted, the grain wouldn't be there.

So, not saying it doesn't work...
It is also a lot of starches going into your fermenter. Having said that, I have brewed only 3 pumpkin beers and have added the pumpkin to the boil. It has been my most requested beer. Sure it was only requested by a couple people, but they would request it ALL the time. I'm getting ready to brew up a Pumking clone and doing what you are doing. Hopefully I won't be out there all day sparging.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Was the pumpkin roasted? What was water to grain ratio?

I had no issues with sparging mine last year, but I roasted the pumpkin, used a ton of rice hulls (probably more than you did), and I think my water to grain was higher than the standard 1.25qt/lb.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
ASantiago
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
Was the pumpkin roasted? What was water to grain ratio?

I had no issues with sparging mine last year, but I roasted the pumpkin, used a ton of rice hulls (probably more than you did), and I think my water to grain was higher than the standard 1.25qt/lb.
The pumpkin was roasted for 1 hr at 330F. I believe, however, that I should have roasted it for longer. It didn't cook as much (read: caramelized) as I wanted it to.

I did do the 1.25 qt/lb w/g ratio at mash in, 2 qt/lb at mash out. Then, when I got frustrated, I added the sparge water in there too, trying to liquify things.

I now also believe I probably should have used *at least* 1 lb of rice hulls, more likely 1.5.
Fermenting: Simcoe-Centennial IPA
Conditioning: Witbier
Enjoying: Saison

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Soma
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed a pumpkin ale last weekend. I baked the pumpkin in the oven then dissolved it into my strike water prior to the mash. It definitely took longer than normal to sparge but I wouldn't say it was particularly messy.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #15
SeaBass512
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know there are a ton of threads out there on stuck sparge etc with pumpkin beer, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but my question (and hopefully responses) will help with this one.

I made a very good squash beer last year for halloween (pumpkin shortage.) At the time I was doing extract brewing. I ended up baking the squash and letting that simmer in a muslin bag for about a half hour IIRC. To that I added the extract and went from there. I'd have to look at my notes, but I think thats what I did.

Anyway, has anybody tried simmering the pumpkin in 170* water and using that water as either mash or sparge water? I figure this way you get the taste/color from the pumpkin you're looking for, without all the thickness of it in the mash.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
SeaBass512
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just call me threadkiller.......

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
ASantiago
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass512 View Post
Just call me threadkiller.......
Heh heh... that's my title too.

I just did my very first batch, so I can't comment on your question. But a couple of posts ago (in this thread) someone mentioned doing the same thing you said.
Fermenting: Simcoe-Centennial IPA
Conditioning: Witbier
Enjoying: Saison

Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
SeaBass512
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So they did........

Serves me right for going through this stuff at work and not paying attention. My bad.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #19
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I just picked up the grains to make JZ's pumpkin spice ale recipe, and I have some connected questions.

I'm brewing a smaller batch: 4.8 gallon boil volume, with 3.75 gallons going into the fermenter. I will mash with 1.75 pounds of pure pumpkin pulp from a pumpkin that my wife grew last fall, and immediately cooked and froze after harvesting. So that's less pumpkin than the OP. I'm planning to mash at 1.5 quarts per pound. Finally, I'm a BIAB-er, so I'm not concerned about a stuck sparge.

Here's my question: I read in another thread (which I can't find now) that I'd get more pumpkin flavor in this beer if I added pectic enzymes. So I picked some up with the grains. Problem is that they didn't come with any instructions. With the mash and boil parameters mentioned above, when do you think I should add the pectic enzymes, and how much should I add?

Unrelated question: I also picked up some 5.2 pH Stabilizer, and after reading the recent posts about 5.2 on HBT, I immediately regretted my purchase. Is there *anybody* who still recommends using this stuff? If so, please tell me why.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
DarkUncle
Blockhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I must say letting the pumpkin heat up and simmer in the strike water sounds like a pretty darn good strategy to me. Mix it up in there and then after letting it settle to the bottom, autosiphon that water into the MLT. Not bad.

Anyone else done this? I may have to conduct a side by side comparison one of these years when I've got nothing but time to kill and a desire to bring my blood pressure up a few points.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply