Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > attenuation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
nutcase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default attenuation

I just brewed two beers a few weeks ago using white labs cal ale and a kolsch ale. I made 1500 ml starters with both. The Cal ale got 86% apparent attentuation and the kolch 84%. This is alot higher than listed attenuation for both. I mashed both a little on the low side - 149 for the cal ale and 152 for the kolch - but doesnt this attenuation seems a little much even for the low mash temps. Could other factors be at work? (ie, wild yeasts or otehr contaminants?). I ended up with a 1.008 FG on an IPA and a 1.009 FG on a pale. Much dryer than I was shooting for on both.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

temperature of the fermentation is also a factor, the higher the temps, the quicker the ferment and the better attenuation, but at the cost of potential off flavors. Sometimes you just get fresher yeast and it does a better job than it would have if it was a little older, i.e. better healthier yeast population. Or so it seems I've gleaned from my reading

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks View Post
temperature of the fermentation is also a factor, the higher the temps, the quicker the ferment and the better attenuation, but at the cost of potential off flavors. Sometimes you just get fresher yeast and it does a better job than it would have if it was a little older, i.e. better healthier yeast population. Or so it seems I've gleaned from my reading
to add a little more info- both beers were fermented at 68 degrees. I'm just surprised by the high attenuation and wondering if it might be a sign that something more sinister might be involved.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I've never gotten less than 80% from Chico yeast, even with scads of crystal.

RDWHAHB, literally -- if the beer tastes good, and you can repeat it, great! If it tastes too dry and thin, try mashing higher next time.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
drayman86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

My high gravity IPA (1.084) attenuated at about 85% w/ WLP001, also using a starter.

Those ranges published by White Labs are just that....ranges. You can exceed them w/ ideal conditions such as a healthy pitch and a well aerated wort.

Better than having the opposite situation, no?

Quick Reply