Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #81
tommymac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use a gatorade cooler as my mash tun, I usualy factored a 10 degree loss when i added the water and was usualy prety close. I like the idea of putting some boiling water in there first to warm things up.

Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #82
sipNswirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm about to do my first 5g AG soon and I'm trying to figure out the water calculations. my kettle is only 5G so i can't boil more than 15 q maybe?

I understand the concept of using more grain and shooting for less efficiency, but i have an AG recipe that someone gave me for a 1/2 wort boil then topping up in the primary. can i assume the grain bed is adjusted for lower efficiency already since the instructions state it's for a 1/2 wort boil? It's got just under 12 Lbs of grain. my MLT is a 6g bucket w/ false bottom.

i can post the recipe or PM it if someone can help me figure that out.
cheers!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #83
rockthebox
Recipes 

Default Thank You 10x

This site is the best with the best people in the world. Its so great that their are helpful people that will take the time to let us know about what s on their mind for the better let all to that!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #84
Wade E
Beer Buster
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I agree, this place is awesome. I have learned a lot and have a lot to learn. I will be doing my 1st AG very shortly.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #85
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I mean, if I never found HBT, I'd never would have gone AG....or even thought of building a keezer

I'm back!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #86
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac
I use a gatorade cooler as my mash tun, I usualy factored a 10 degree loss when i added the water and was usualy prety close. I like the idea of putting some boiling water in there first to warm things up.

Tom
Don't put boiling water in your cooler! You will warp the heck out of it.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #87
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkensatyr
What helped me back when I started All Grain was to pre measure out all the hops, and moss and seal them in numbered zip bags and wrote the minutes to set my timer to for the next add. I remember the 1st few batches were a mental drain and it was nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the boil without having to think about what I was doing.
I do this with ALL my ingredients (still a partial mash brewer for next few months). I usually do it the night before or early that morning. I use masking tape and gladware containers and have all the times and contents marked. It's great then to be able to listen to music, stir, and add at appropriate times.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #88
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

to the chap marking the outside of his kettles with a sharpie...

how do markings on the OUTSIDE of the kettle help?

Old 04-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #89
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You must use those special "3-D" glasses that they handed out at the movie house back in the 50's or be "superman" with his specical eyes.
A marked story pole/stick or better yet a stainless rod with ring markings (done with a tubing cutter) for each gallon seems too simple for such a high tech problem. This ain't a calculation specific for a N.A.S.A. launch.
Sorry if I sound sarcastic here, my German grand parents back in the 20's have been told made good home brew bier in crock pots here in the USA before and during prohibition times that the family has always talked about. Remember the "KISS" plan?

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 04-27-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #90
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

I just traded for a 14 gallon rig that is marked on the outside(right next to the sight glass). but if there is no sight glass then you just look inside then outside quickly and your eyes seem to find the right spot. Then I repeat just to verify. that is the method I used when dealing with plastic buckets that were marked on the outside. It worked pretty well to within 1/2 gallon depending on diameter of the pot.

Quick Reply