HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #331
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I had excellent results from using only 2 row base malt and Cascade hops.
20lbs base
1oz of hops at 90, then 15, and at flame out.

It amazed me how such a simple recipe could turn out so good.

pb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #332
Trippel-A

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 117

What do people think about things like Northern Brewer's instructional DVD? Any good? Will I find better info on YouTube?

We made our first mini-mash, recently, and the hardest part was definitely temperature control. We're pretty good at planning, staging, calculations, etc... I came to the conclusion that mini-mash adds much of the complicated process of AG, but without the useful, helpful equipment!

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: White House Honey Ale (extract); All-grain pale mild
Secondary: none
Bottles: Irish heavy, oaked bourbon porter (extract), black IPA (extract)

On deck: TBD
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #333
jimbodini2000
Recipes 

Great post, Rich. I should've read this before I posted my recent question on yield and efficiency.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #334
Trippel-A

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer View Post
That is good information. I never thought of that. I wonder why that happens?
More grain to heat up, right? Ergo, more heat transfer into the grain?

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: White House Honey Ale (extract); All-grain pale mild
Secondary: none
Bottles: Irish heavy, oaked bourbon porter (extract), black IPA (extract)

On deck: TBD
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #335
HoppingC
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Dont rush it!

My second AG i wanted to do a big beer. Up gradaded to a 10 gallon igloo and found out 27 pounds of grain is too much! Got stuck sparge,(using bazooka screen now have false bottom), 2.5 gallons short, and 2% abv less than what i was suppose to get. Trial and error my friends. Should of def did more research on the coolers grain capacity and followed closer to the water to grain ratio.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #336
BobFV
Recipes 

Hi All - I am a long time lurker and just recently joined HBT - this is my first post. I am very impressed with the knowledge of the community here. I have been extract brewing off and on since the late 1980's, and I am lucky enough to have a pretty good setup and equipment in my workshop for brewing.

After a great deal of research and reading, I purchased an NB 10 gallon system and did my inaugural AG brewday last weekend. Everything seemed to work great except for the fact that I had a low OG - only about 1.032. I was brewing a milled NB California Commons AG kit. I measured the OG at room temperature after the boil.

I know there are many things which may account for the low OG - but I think I isolated this one and I want to run it past the wisdom of the forum. After my wort boil, I used my copper wort chiller AND about 1.5 pounds of ice made from my home well water, which is also what I use to brew with. I used the ice because that is what I have always done as an extract brewer. It now seems to me that by diluting the wort, I can easily account for the low OG, and I need to not do that on my next batch.

I throw myself at your mercy - let me know if you validate or call shenanigans on my theory. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #337
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 383 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 387

If your final volume was correct, you didn't over dilute the wort. It's more likely to be due to incomplete mixing of the wort and water released by the ice.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #338
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV View Post
I used the ice because that is what I have always done as an extract brewer. It now seems to me that by diluting the wort, I can easily account for the low OG, and I need to not do that on my next batch.

I throw myself at your mercy - let me know if you validate or call shenanigans on my theory. Thanks!
You can calculate the OG change due to the ice before you add it. If it did not affect your extract batches, then I suspect a different cause for the unexpected gravity of the all grain batch. I take readings before and after I add any makeup water. Ice is makeup water.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #339
BobFV
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
If your final volume was correct, you didn't over dilute the wort. It's more likely to be due to incomplete mixing of the wort and water released by the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
You can calculate the OG change due to the ice before you add it. If it did not affect your extract batches, then I suspect a different cause for the unexpected gravity of the all grain batch. I take readings before and after I add any makeup water. Ice is makeup water.
Denny thanks - in fact my final volume was substantially high - about 6 gallons or so in my 6.5 gallon glass carboy.

Epimetheus - on my extract batches I counted the ice as "make-up water" and compensated to hit my final volume.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #340
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 383 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Well, there ya go, Bob! At least you know for next time.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply