Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #321
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Don't be scared....once you do it, you'll say "is that all there is to it?" As for a recipe, I recommend a simple pale ale so you don't have to worry about water too much and you can concentrate on procedures.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #322
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Don't be scared....once you do it, you'll say "is that all there is to it?" As for a recipe, I recommend a simple pale ale so you don't have to worry about water too much and you can concentrate on procedures.
That's what I keep telling myself. I wanted to ease into brewing, so I started with extracts. But I'm ready to do it for real. I just need to find a recipe and go with it. I'll explore around here a bit more.

Thanks for the advice

Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #323
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 281

AG is nothing to be nervous about. Learning the process is half the fun. As far as recipes go, style doesn't matter so much, just keep it simple. You don't want to worry about decoction, sour mash, or pushing the limits of how much grain/water will fit in your mash tun until you're more familiar with your new equipment. A simple pale ale is a good suggestion. Have fun!

I aim to misbehave.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #324
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would start with a known recipe that have fewer steps. If I were to start at your place again, I'd go to northernbrewer.com. Go to Learn, then Documentation, then All-grain kits.
Take some time to cruise the different styles. Find something that has less steps. Like just one mash temp and then a mash out only. I believe they even have some kits for beginners. Easier to follow, but still really good beer.
I don't even order from northernbrewer( I don't have a good reason why) but I do go to that site to cruise all the different recipes. When I find one, I usually order the ingredients separately on my own, but I like the options.

Good luck, take your time, and have fun. In the end, you make beer.

I like beer

Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #325
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Thanks again, fellas. I think I'm ready to graduate from the kits, so I just need to find an interesting recipe and go with it. I'm lucky that my LHBS is excellent, so if I go in with a recipe list, they'll be able to guide me a bit.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #326
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Don't even buy an AG kit. Determine what you want to brew, and buy the ingredients fresh. Part of the freedom of going AG is not being tied to kits with ingredients that have been sitting who knows how long on a shelf at the LHBS.

A SMaSH brew might be a good way to get started.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #327
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
That's what I keep telling myself. I wanted to ease into brewing, so I started with extracts. But I'm ready to do it for real. I just need to find a recipe and go with it. I'll explore around here a bit more.

Thanks for the advice
10 lb. pale malt, 1 lb. C60. Hop to about 40ish IBU with your favorite American hop, dry hop with your favorite dry hop, pitch your favorite American yeast (like WY1056, 1272, 1450, or US05), ferment in the mid 60s.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #328
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Thanks again, fellas. I think I'm ready to graduate from the kits, so I just need to find an interesting recipe and go with it. I'm lucky that my LHBS is excellent, so if I go in with a recipe list, they'll be able to guide me a bit.
Pick a beer style that you like to drink. I think that most amber ales and American Pale Ales are pretty simple to do. Like another contributor suggested, pick something simple.

There's really nothing that hard about simple AG brewing. Keep in mind that the only difference between all grain and extract is that you are making the wort yourself instead of buying it in a can or jar.

Simple steps:

1. Heat about 6-7 gallons of water to about 165F, add half the water to your mash tun, stir in the malt, stir in enough more water to get 20-24 qts. and let it set for an hour.
2. Stir and check the temperature every 20 minutes or so. Don't sweat a small temperature drop but do add more hot water if it drops below 145F.
3. Drain it off and add enough 180F water to the grain so you'll end up with about 6 3/4 gallons for your boil.
4. Let that sit for 15 minutes, drain it off and you will be exactly where you would have been if you'd bought the extract and added hot water to it.

+1 to the advice to get some education from some of the available on-line sources, but if you pick a simple beer to make and follow these 4 steps you'll end up with a pretty good batch of beer.

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

EasTexan Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #329
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Thanks again, guys. I've been perusing through the recipe section and found a few that look interesting. I started on my mash tun last night, hit a snag, but think I'm okay now.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #330
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My first all grain brew was the blue moon clone posted here and my second was the SNPA from the December/January BYO magazine both very simple to do. I like many people went from Mr. Beer to 5 Gallon Extract with steeping, to mini/partial mashing to all grain......I can see myself in the winter going to partial mashing if it gets to cold outside to sit and watch the boil......but I do love the act of having moved to all grain..

image-1814261908.jpg

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Quick Reply