Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #301
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

so with Beersmith
mash in with 20 Quarts
absorbtion of almost 2 gallons
2 sparges with 2 gallons a piece
assuming a loss of 1/4 Q in tun
pre boil volume of almost 7 gallons
assuming a boil off rate of 15% and cooling loss of 4%
post boil volume of 5 1/2 gallons
loss to trub in fermentor of a couple quarts
gets you near 5 finished product

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #302
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyind View Post
Rich,
I am new to AG and i have a quesion about a recipe that i want to try. It is a Bourbon Vanilla Porter and it has 16 lbs of grain is how much water would you use to sparge for a 5 gal batch
Does that happen to be my recipe? I mash about 1.6-1.75 qt./lb. Then sparge with enough water to get your boil volume. Are you fly or batch sparging?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #303
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Rich,
I am new to AG and i have a quesion about a recipe that i want to try. It is a Bourbon Vanilla Porter and it has 16 lbs of grain is how much water would you use to sparge for a 5 gal batch
simple answer.... drain your mash tun and measure the amount collected from first running in kettle. add the remaining water needed to reach pre-boil volume as sparge water. vorlauf and drain to kettle.

more complicated answers.. read the posts above.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #304
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
simple answer.... drain your mash tun and measure the amount collected from first running in kettle. add the remaining water needed to reach pre-boil volume as sparge water. vorlauf and drain to kettle.
Absolutely. That's why I asked if he was batch sparging.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #305
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default I think i am getting the hang of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
That's a mighty good tip. Also, it's not a bad idea to keep a few pounds of light DME handy, so you really don't have to worry about efficiency.

TL
So, I am planning on moving to AG in the next year or so and I thought (quite correctly I might add!) that this thread would be a great place to start.

If I am truly understanding this AG thing, does this quote essentially mean that after I am all done with an AG attempt, if my gravity is low (which means that my efficiency was low?) that I merely add light DME until my gravity is up where I want it??

PRIMARY:
SECONDARY- Apple Cider (13 gallons)
CONDITIONING:
DRINKING: Hill Farmstead - my local brewery
DRINKING: Mish-Mash/End of Summer Ale
PLANNING: Dunny's Learn To Homebrew Day APA
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #306
OlieNH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkinger View Post
So, I am planning on moving to AG in the next year or so and I thought (quite correctly I might add!) that this thread would be a great place to start.

If I am truly understanding this AG thing, does this quote essentially mean that after I am all done with an AG attempt, if my gravity is low (which means that my efficiency was low?) that I merely add light DME until my gravity is up where I want it??
I use a refractometer and BeerSmith when All-grain brewing. When you have all of your wort in the kettle ready to boil, take a refractometer reading and determine your pre-boil gravity. Beersmith will automatically tell you what this should be. For example, if I am doing a 60-minute boil on my Breakfast Stout with a target OG of 1.087, my pre-boil gravity will likely be 1.077. BeerSmith accounts for the boil off and is usually spot on.

If my pre-boil gravity is way off, I will add some DME or Corn Sugar to bring it up. If I am within a few points, I will start the boil and take another measurement about 15 minutes from the end of the boil. If I am off at that point, I will add whatever DME I need to hit my target OG.

The nice thing about most refractometers is that they can measure hot wort. You only use 1 drop of liquid, so it cools on the instrument immediately.

On Deck: 15 gallons of Robust Porter
On Deck: Rye IPA
Primary: Belgian Golden Strong with Chimay Strain
Primary 2: Belgian Golden Strong with Abbey Ale Strain
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Keg 2: More Apfelwien
Keg 2: Battle Axe Double IPA
Keg 3: Exctract Pale Ale
Keg 4:
Keg 5:
Keg 6:
Bourbon Barrel: Breakfast Stout

Old 12-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #307
kodyind
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Does that happen to be my recipe? I mash about 1.6-1.75 qt./lb. Then sparge with enough water to get your boil volume. Are you fly or batch sparging?
Denny
Yes it is yours, and tell me how either way, i have not decided to fly or batch. Thanks for your help and this recipe sounds great

Jim

Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #308
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Denny
Yes it is yours, and tell me how either way, i have not decided to fly or batch. Thanks for your help and this recipe sounds great

Jim
Well, if you batch sparge it's easy. Decide on your mash ratio and mash with that amount of water. After you run it off, measure how much you got from the mash. Subtract that from the ampunt you want to boil. The answer you get is how much to sparge with.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #309
Brew-Dawg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I batch spared for the first time and my efficiency improved from 75% to 81% - yeah! - but even after using Irsh moss at the usual rate, my beer remained cloudy.
It tastes phenomenal though! My next brew I fly-sparged (same as the past 15 years) and hit 75% as expected, then got a little distracted by a new 'assistant/home-brew drinker' and forgot Irish moss and the damn beer is cloudy again! understand that it still tastes phenomenal!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #310
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Dawg View Post
I batch spared for the first time and my efficiency improved from 75% to 81% - yeah! - but even after using Irsh moss at the usual rate, my beer remained cloudy.
It tastes phenomenal though! My next brew I fly-sparged (same as the past 15 years) and hit 75% as expected, then got a little distracted by a new 'assistant/home-brew drinker' and forgot Irish moss and the damn beer is cloudy again! understand that it still tastes phenomenal!
what style of beer? are you dry hopping? are you doing anything post fermentation to clear the beer like cold crashing? gelatin? bio-fine clear?

Quick Reply