Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #201
millaj92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannypittman View Post
Another all grain rookie mistake leads to discarded batch. I stepped away for just a few toooo many minutes and did not stir the brewpot on the stove while doing an infusion mash. The grains on the bottom got burned and that taste carried over to the beer. Stinks, because it was beautiful, clear, the perfect head, but it had the burnt taste that there was no getting past.
Do not make the mistake of heating grains and water at the same time. I did it for months with many batches successfully, but it requires constant stirring. 5 minutes can ruin / burn an entire batch. Add your heated water to the brewpot for mashing.
I may just get the igloo cooler back out.
Never throw away bad beer! Still it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 01:56 AM   #202
inmyelement
Recipes 

Read through the thread and didn't see it mentioned of you can do your boil in 2 pots? I'm looking at taking 8ish gallons down to 5. I don't have a pot big enough to do it all together so that's out of the question. Seems that boiling 1.5 gallons off of 2 pots containing 4 gallon each would be quicker than doing it all in one. I have a stove that can handle the task. Is there a down side to doing this?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #203
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyelement View Post
Read through the thread and didn't see it mentioned of you can do your boil in 2 pots? I'm looking at taking 8ish gallons down to 5. I don't have a pot big enough to do it all together so that's out of the question. Seems that boiling 1.5 gallons off of 2 pots containing 4 gallon each would be quicker than doing it all in one. I have a stove that can handle the task. Is there a down side to doing this?
The only downside I can see is that you've got twice the chances of burning and or boiling over. The end gravities of the two pots will probably come out different, but since you would be combining them in the end I don't see that as an issue.

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #204
sauerj67
Recipes 

One other thing you need to keep in mind is your MLT dead space. Add that volume to your sparge water or I will use that volume of water for my sach rest.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #205
FishFace
Recipes 

Being new to AG (2 Successful batches), it's (IMHO) all about process, and sticking to it. You can either be all over the place trying to remember what to do when, etc. Or have a process down. I stumbled through my first batch, it worked out due to the fact I did a recipe that I had done as AE, I had a reference point.

After that first batch, I decided to sit down (with beer of course) and write down what my basic AG process. I also spent the time to mock a brew, with all the tubing switches, etc. This gave me the chance to measure captured volumes and include those in my water needs.The next time, I was able to play with the kids, etc. My liquor volume and final volumes were dead on. Efficiency was 80+% (right on target).

The other of course is scientific process, never change more than one variable at a time. You'll never know what worked better that way. And finally, you are making beer so relax.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #206
Jewsh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFace View Post
Being new to AG (2 Successful batches), it's (IMHO) all about process, and sticking to it. You can either be all over the place trying to remember what to do when, etc. Or have a process down. I stumbled through my first batch, it worked out due to the fact I did a recipe that I had done as AE, I had a reference point.

After that first batch, I decided to sit down (with beer of course) and write down what my basic AG process. I also spent the time to mock a brew, with all the tubing switches, etc. This gave me the chance to measure captured volumes and include those in my water needs.The next time, I was able to play with the kids, etc. My liquor volume and final volumes were dead on. Efficiency was 80+% (right on target).

The other of course is scientific process, never change more than one variable at a time. You'll never know what worked better that way. And finally, you are making beer so relax.

I agree, Just, don't worry, relax and have a homebrew.
Dialing in your numbers and process will come with time. It is all about expirementation with your system.

BrewCockie Brewing CO.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #207
Brian-d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a question about these water calculations for all grain. I have just purchased a system with 15 gallon capacity. I have a recipe I'd like to try that is designed to brew a 10 gallon batch. For this there is 32.5 pounds of grain. Using your water calculations I would mash with 40.6625 quarts and sparge with 16 gallons??? This seems excessive unless I am just reading this post wrong. Please advise because obviously my 15 gallon system would not support this much liquid volume. My recipe I developed with Beersmith calls for 40.75 quarts for mashing and 5.19 for sparging. I'd attach my pdf recipe but there does not seem to be a way to attach. I look forward to hearing back. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #208
FishFace
Recipes 

That's a lot of grain. I would have to have all the data to run through my database I designed to see what it says. What type of mash. I am showing that the 32.5 lbs of grains will capture 6.4 gallons. I am showing your total water volume, (using my deadspace measurements for my brewsystem) at 17.84 gallons.

For 1 step mash. (1.1 gt/lb) mash 8.8 gallons @ 176º. Sparge (1.13 qt/lb) 9.04 gallons. Good luck

Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #209
Brian-d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'd send you my recipe sheet from beersmith but I'm not sure how to attach a document here.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #210
DirDirDirty
Recipes 

Hey guys, so I've been doing extract brewing for almost two years now I guess and I want to start transitioning to AG. I've skimmed through this thread and searched the forum but I can't find anything in regards to what is actually needed as far as a setup.

I found this on another site:
Brew Pot ( 13 gallon )
Brew Pot ( 5-8 gallon )
Propane Burner, maybe 2
Lauter Tun
Metal Stirring Spoon
Mash Paddle
2 Floating Dairy Thermometers
Hydrometer and test tube
Plastic Funnel
Strainer
Hop Bags(optional)
Grain Bags
Wort Chiller or a big tub of ice

Is that everything I would need that I don't already have in my setup? How big a batch can that brew and would I need larger/different equipment for 10 gallon batches? If I'm looking at purchasing from a site such as midwestsupplies is this something I should look at. Any sites in particular that would be best to order from?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply