Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #171
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Be careful of mashing in the oven especially with the top of the mash OFF. Your water will evaporate rapidly, you will have to keep opening it and adding water. I think you'd be better off to wrap your cooler in a couple of blankets or towels to minimize heat loss.

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #172
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

And, yes I've done the 'mash on the stove-top' method before also, and it too is a real pain. I was doing these for partial mashes that I was doing and ended up buying a 3-gallon cooler for the partials. When I went AG I went with a cooler and a couple of old army blankets. I lost a little heat in my first AG batch (which was done earlier this year), but the resulting beer is A-M-A-Zing.

I offer this IMO for what it's worth. Hope it helps you. Good luck with your first AG batch

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #173
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Boy, it sure sounds a hell of a lot harder to me! Again, why assume you'll have a problem without trying it? Doing an AG batch means you'll have more thermal mass and less likelihood of a temp drop. I mean, it's your brew, do what you want...I'm just trying to help.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 05-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #174
fink100
Recipes 

I would like to try to jump from partial to all grain, but I am worried about my temp control. Thanks for the tips, I think I need to try it soon.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #175
Keepthedrive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so i did it on the spur last night, following the mashing technique from the killer bee belgian wit recipe...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/killer-bee-belgian-wit-73278/

I used the stovetop/oven technique, was not a problem at all and I was able to maintain temperature dead on...but when I put it in my carboy to ferment, it looked like someone had taken a huge #2...the liquid kind, in my carboy and all this protein haze globules were at the bottom of the carboy...though they took up about 75% of the volume of the carboy, and the rest of the 25% was a murky liquid...enuf said, it didnt look like beer at all.

so that was at 1am this morning when I finished, at 1130am this morning, my brother wakes me up and says I better come take a look...the krausen had filled the airlock and it was bubbling out the wazoo...around 72 F. So I took it into my basement where it is a good amount cooler, and sterilized the top and put in a blow off tube into a mug of water.

I used the wb06 yeast...is this stuff suppose to happen with this yeast, does it act that fast.

But my main question is, does this mean that I did a good job of converting the starches to sugar?

I my grain bill was 3 lbs torrified wheat, 2.5 lbs belgian wheat malt, 5 lbs belgian pils, and 5 oz belg. aromatic.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #176
Powers
Recipes 

i just finished a mash on a small batch of a pretty big beer. its my first all grain brew. i had about 8 lbs of grains in a 5 gallon pot. i let it sit at 131 for 30 minutes, then brought it up to 149 for 50 minutes. before boiling and adding hops, i checked the SG and it was only 1.020. i was shooting for 1.080, so something has gone incredibly wrong.

the only thing i can surmise is that the grains were not properly milled/crushed. i just poured them from the bags and some were kind of cracked, but not pulverized or anything. any recommendations??

i am actually putting them back into the mash for another hour to see how it goes. could use any advise ASAP!!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #177
Powers
Recipes 

i remashed for awhile and ended up with a 1.050 result. i had another thread on here with quite a few posts helping point me in the right direction, so no need to continue this discussion here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/very-low-original-gravity-after-mash-need-quick-advice-178238/index2.html#post2064530

Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #178
erkwist
Recipes 

Doing my first AG in a couple of days, and as always I start off the "hard way". 15 lb grain bill and me with a 7.5 gal kettle. Going to go for the boil off. This thread has boosted my confidence way up for this and I feel ready. Thanks to everyone's good advice and question asking. Wish me luck.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #179
crummycook
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First All Grain - Session Weisen

3# German Wheat
3# German Pilsner
1oz German Spalt Hops
Weihenstephan Yeast Wyeast 3068
2 gallons mash Started at 155 down to 150 in the hour
2 gallons sparge at 174 for 10inutes
1.044 OG for 79% efficiency according to Pro Mash
Used a 24qt coleman for my mash and sparge and worked quite nicely. Pouring su7cks, I have to work on a faucet. I like 3 gallon because I can brew a bigger variety, and, right now I have the equipment, altho humble. Thanks for the great tips from everyone! Small house so fermenter is in the kitchen using the wet t-shirt and fan method - 64 degrees.

Last edited by crummycook; 06-19-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #180
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One more thing: If you grind your own grain, make sure your cordless drill batteries are charged.
I am positive I charged them both last week, but I guess when they get two or three years old, they lose the charge even if you don't use them. The one in the drill wouldn't even turn. The backup went about half a turn.
Thankfully, I got the Barley Crusher, which comes with a hand crank. It took ten minutes instead of 90 seconds, but I got my batch done.

Quick Reply