Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #151
jds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi365 View Post
I am confused now. Is it gallons or quarts. THe sticky reads 1-1.25 QUARTS for mash and .5 GALLONS for sparge. Is this correct? Colorado seems to think it is not...
For peak sparging efficiency, yes. Lately, I've been mashing thinner (like 2 qt/lb mash thickness) and sparging less. I'm only losing around 3% in brewhouse efficiency this way, but the thinner mash is easier to work with.

You have to remember, these numbers aren't carved in stone anywhere. You can adjust up or down as you wish, and you'll still be in the right neighborhood. I personally don't like to mash with less than 1 qt/lb, because it makes the mash hard to stir and slow to drain -- but again, it's a question of preferences. A big part of the art of brewing is figuring out how the process works FOR YOU, and then tweaking it as you need to. Frankly, I'd rather have a consistent 75% brewhouse efficiency with less hassle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #152
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnear76 View Post
Thanks for the shout-out. I actually moved the directions/calculator to here and corrected some errors. I had a problem printing from the geocities site, because of their advertisement scheme.

Mike
This makes me think I can do this sooner that I thought. Amazing Site. Thanks.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #153
fbi365
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
For peak sparging efficiency, yes. Lately, I've been mashing thinner (like 2 qt/lb mash thickness) and sparging less. I'm only losing around 3% in brewhouse efficiency this way, but the thinner mash is easier to work with.

You have to remember, these numbers aren't carved in stone anywhere. You can adjust up or down as you wish, and you'll still be in the right neighborhood. I personally don't like to mash with less than 1 qt/lb, because it makes the mash hard to stir and slow to drain -- but again, it's a question of preferences. A big part of the art of brewing is figuring out how the process works FOR YOU, and then tweaking it as you need to. Frankly, I'd rather have a consistent 75% brewhouse efficiency with less hassle.
Thanks JDS for articulating this. I feel like using more water in the mash has given me the results I prefer. Though, this is just a gut feeling, nothing I have observed empirically.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #154
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi365 View Post
Thanks JDS for articulating this. I feel like using more water in the mash has given me the results I prefer. Though, this is just a gut feeling, nothing I have observed empirically.
That is exactly what it's all about -- getting the results YOU want, not the results a book or a podcast host or another HBT poster says you should be getting. Brew what you like, how you like, and you'll always have good beer to drink.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #155
mattpicard
Recipes 

Default topping off all grain

I am new to all grain. It seems like topping off if you come up short is not an option in all grain like it is in extract. Is this right? What is the difference?

Also, if I run the amount of sparge water through my mash tun as recommended, the runnings become much more grassy and bitter after a while. Do I want to leave these out or just forget about that and add the correct amount pre-boil?

THanks.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #156
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpicard View Post
I am new to all grain. It seems like topping off if you come up short is not an option in all grain like it is in extract. Is this right? What is the difference?
You can certainly top of if you want or need to.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #157
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

If I hit my efficiency at 5.5 gallons while I'm running off, I'll stop the sparge, let the rest of the mash drain and top off as needed. I've done it before the boil (with boiling water, to help it going) and I've done it after the boil with bottled water (to help with cooling.)

It could effect hop utilization with a more concentrated boil, but for most beers I think it has little to no effect.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #158
BigTexun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was reading this thread and noticed that the question about why a 10 gallon tun will drop more in temperature when grain is added than a 10 gallon tun.

I have to ask, is anyone considering the starting temperature of the grain?

Here is an even wilder idea... if you wanted your post-drop Tun temperature to remain the same, would it make sense to pre-heat your grain to say, 150 degrees in your oven?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #159
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post

Thinner mash/less sparge will also lead to less PH issues for those of you with hard water.

If you've got hard water, theres a good chance that by the first sparge you've exhausted the buffering capacity of the grain, so minimizing the amount of sparge water can be a good thing.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #160
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexun View Post
I have to ask, is anyone considering the starting temperature of the grain?
Always. I use Promash to calc my temps, and there is a field for grain temp in the mash screen.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply