Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attention new all grain brewers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #141
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

165 is a pretty high mash temp. Most are done about 10-17 degrees lower than that.

You might have a low ABV beer with a very full body because of the higher mash temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #142
masonsjax
Professional Amateur

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 296

185 is hot enough to stop the enzymes from breaking down the starches and sugars. It depends on how long it mashed in the acceptable temp range before you raised it to mash out temps. Also, as mentioned already 165 is way high. You usually want to keep it between 148-158 or so. How was your starting gravity?

I aim to misbehave.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #143
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Probably low fermentability and a high FG.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #144
churdbird
Recipes 

Just looked thru the whole thred and still didn't really awnser my question. So, Ill ask, I am still having trouble figuring how much sparge water is needed when I brew. I do 5 gal batches using a Gott cooler w/ false bottom and a sparge arm. Typical grain bills are 8-12 lbs. I normally heat 5 gal to sparge with but stop when im at 6.5-7 gal collected. But some times I feel I oversparge and then the next time feel like not enough. What can I do?
Is there any way of figuring.. Ok in this batch I will need exactly 4.3gal to sparge with and when the 4.3 has filtered thu and now is in the pot your done?

Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #145
masonsjax
Professional Amateur

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 296

I batch sparge, so my gear is a little different and I don't have to worry about Ph or the gravity of the runoff, etc.

If you're fly sparging, I believe you just keep sparging until you hit your target pre-boil volume, or until your runoff is around 1.010 SG or so. There are probably hundreds of threads here already discussing this issue, try searching.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #146
jayareo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I also batch sparge, but from what i have read and done, seems like the best way is to figure out the volume of your first runnings (the amount of hot liquor that you get once you drain off the mash water - leaving enough to still cover your grain bed). Then I assume that i will need to sparge wiht the difference of your total boil volume less the first runnings.

That has gotten me close every time, since the grains have absorbed pretty much all the water they will during mashing.

This method does not, however, take into account your target pre-boil SG. I guess I have been lucky in that regards, as I am always in the ballpark so-to-speak (which means +/- 5.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #147
churdbird
Recipes 

I think I my have solved my problem at least for now. Sparge Pal app for the iPhone. Looks like a nice app and will help me get close to the correct amount of sparge water w/o over/under sparging. I'll let you know how it works at next brew date. Due to the snow storm/ work/ x-mas prob after the new year now.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #148
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by churdbird View Post
Just looked thru the whole thred and still didn't really awnser my question. So, Ill ask, I am still having trouble figuring how much sparge water is needed when I brew. I do 5 gal batches using a Gott cooler w/ false bottom and a sparge arm. Typical grain bills are 8-12 lbs. I normally heat 5 gal to sparge with but stop when im at 6.5-7 gal collected. But some times I feel I oversparge and then the next time feel like not enough. What can I do?
Is there any way of figuring.. Ok in this batch I will need exactly 4.3gal to sparge with and when the 4.3 has filtered thu and now is in the pot your done?
It really isn't all that hard. Figure about 1 to 1 1/4 quarts of water ber pound of grain for the mash then 1/2 gallon of water per pound of grain for the sparge. These amounts are for maximum efficiency. The problem is that with larger grain bills you end up with a large boil volume which requires a longer boil time. For bigger beers you can calculate with lower efficiency and just use more grains unless you don't mind a longer boil.

EDIT: Examples;
A beer with 8 pounds of grain would require 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of water. You would sparge with 4 gallons. You can estimate about .1 gallon per pound of grain water absorption. So depending on how much wort you lose in your tun, you will have about 5 1/2 to six gallons in the brew pot.

A 12 pound grain bill would use 3 to 3 3/4 gallons for mashing and 6 gallons for sparging. You will end up with about 7 to 7 1/2 gallons in the brew pot.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #149
Dannypittman
Recipes 

Another all grain rookie mistake leads to discarded batch. I stepped away for just a few toooo many minutes and did not stir the brewpot on the stove while doing an infusion mash. The grains on the bottom got burned and that taste carried over to the beer. Stinks, because it was beautiful, clear, the perfect head, but it had the burnt taste that there was no getting past.
Do not make the mistake of heating grains and water at the same time. I did it for months with many batches successfully, but it requires constant stirring. 5 minutes can ruin / burn an entire batch. Add your heated water to the brewpot for mashing.
I may just get the igloo cooler back out.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #150
fbi365
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I am confused now. Is it gallons or quarts. THe sticky reads 1-1.25 QUARTS for mash and .5 GALLONS for sparge. Is this correct? Colorado seems to think it is not...

Quick Reply