New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Attaching false bottom to ball valve: suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
murphyfields
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Attaching false bottom to ball valve: suggestions?

I have a 10 gal igloo cooler and I am looking at false bottom options and how to hook my false bottom to the ball valve.

The design at homebrewing.org looks good

http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-Igloo-or-Rubbermaid-Cooler-False-Bottom-Hardware_p_2865.html

but it looks like a good part of this is brass (although they do use a stainless tube).

What other/better options do you folks use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
zzARzz

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're looking for cheap but effective I use a piece of braided tubing. It's easy to install, remove and clean and I haven't had any off flavor issues or stuck sparges.

You could also use a piece of copper tubing instead of brass or S/S with compression fittings similar to your original post. I looked at doing that on mine but couldn't resist the convenience of the braided tubing.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzARzz View Post
If you're looking for cheap but effective I use a piece of braided tubing. It's easy to install, remove and clean and I haven't had any off flavor issues or stuck sparges.

You could also use a piece of copper tubing instead of brass or S/S with compression fittings similar to your original post. I looked at doing that on mine but couldn't resist the convenience of the braided tubing.
2nd the braided tubing. Easy and effective. Oh yeah, and cheap!

I hate Walder Frey...

Quick Reply